Question about Climate compared to water

Question about Climate compared to water

Postby carnevale3522 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Where is the proper place to place you build in relation to a body of water or depending on climate.

This is my best guess but can't really find the answers

Temperature - not sure

Hot-Humid- Close to water for more passive ventilation cooling.

Hot Arid- Far from water because you aren't trying to vent the building to cool.

Cold - Far from Water
carnevale3522

Re: Question about Climate compared to water

Postby tmston2 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:31 pm

imho, sounds like stuff you can find in ppp or spd, that said, its my understanding that water acts as a micro climate temp. regulator because its cooler during day and warmer at night
same as its warmer in winter and in summer its cooler, keeps temps more constant,acts as a heat sink & typically creates a draft due to temp differences thus in my mind:

temperate - close to water would receive warmer air in winter, and cooler in summer
hot airid - close to water due to has highest temp swing and water would tapper temp swing off for lower temp in summer raise temp in winter and provide breeze
hot humid - moderately close to water would create breeze to help vent humid indoors in summer high humidity in winter is good
cold - close to water offset temps in winter and summer, thats why chicago is warmer than minneapolis
tmston2

Postby carnevale3522 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:37 am

Thank you so much tmston2.

Love your answer maybe you can look at what I found and see if it makes sense to you.

"bodies of water reduce temperature extremes both
daily and seasonal, on nearby land areas. The bodies of water act as a moderator."

This seems to be exactly what you you were talking about.

This would make me want to place a bldg near water to lower the extremes of the temperature.

However I also found this.

"the effect of a body of water on the land adjacent to it is
to moderate the microclimate. The difference in temperature between the two causes
an almost constant breeze. Warm air rises over warmer land during the day and causes
a breeze from the water. At night the pattern may be reversed; cold air flows down a hill
and settles in low-lying regions, causing pockets that remain colder than higher
elevations during the first part of the day this results in an inversion"

This make me think the constant breeze and the cool air settling in lower regions of being near water would make it colder in a cold climate.

Thoughts? BTW thank you again for helping me.
carnevale3522

Postby tmston2 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:54 pm

no problem.

cold air flows down a hill
and settles in low-lying regions, causing pockets that remain colder than higher
elevations

This make me think the constant breeze and the cool air settling in lower regions of being near water would make it colder in a cold climate.

this is true, that is why it is recommended to never have a building at the very bottom or very top of a hill
tmston2

Postby hnQ_9999 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:00 am

I think the answer to this question is rather arbitrary.
It's depend on whether such water body is small or large
and also local weather factors, especially when comparing
between real locations (like Chicago and Minneapolis).
hnQ_9999

Postby tmston2 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:42 am

^ in my mind to be more helpful to hnQ_9999, I would definitely reconsider the idea of bldg placement in relation to climate (typical regional conditions, were weather is day to day condition) & bodies of water as arbitrary & escalate it to important & significant. ie. sample question 2 under ppd. in the 5.0 handbook
tmston2

Postby nickp1085 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:27 am

This original question relates to proximity of buildings to bodies of water however, hnQ_9999 is right that it depends on the size of such a body of water. So if you had a small body of water like a lake or pond, what would be the appropriate layout in relation to direction?

Arid - North of water for evaporative cooling?
Humid, Cold, Temperate - South of water to defend against the humidity and cool breezes from evaporative cooling?
nickp1085

Postby tmston2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:01 pm

^ in my mind I define "arbitrary" as not linked to some logical order or governing influence. that said, the question is about what IS a factor(S)
influencing building placement in relation to water feature (unless it specifically says the wind is from the north, south, east, or west for a specific region)

• Climate
• Topography

in my mind all things being equal, I would not consider wind as a factor and wind could blow in any direction; a tornado can move south just
as easy as east, it can move in any direction, but the body of water whether large or small will be influencing site micro climate.
But this is how I understand what I have studied.
tmston2

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design