structures in PPD

structures in PPD

Postby Architarma » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:38 am

I'm testing Thursday morning and I have put off really studying structures because after taking Thaddeus a couple of times (a long time ago) I just found it all so overwhelming.
Do you all think I need to memorize all the formulas and focus on how to do the various calculations?
Any tips on where I should focus my energy in the final stretch?
Architarma

Re: structures in PPD

Postby tmston2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:01 am

^ as many people have said over and over, the biggest things to know are the concepts, which are, general structures, lateral forces including wind, seismic forces, materials: wood, concrete, steel, masonry, precast and how they are integrated and affect building construction, budget and design.
most formulas are on the exam, my approach is to do concept questions 1st and revist calculatons questions. so if you are asked what structual system can you use if a client wants a 6 story office building and it constructed on a small site in the middle of december in minnesota you know its probaly more than likely steel
tmston2

Postby Barry » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:48 am

I took SS last fall. There was very little SS on PPD. Slightly more on PDD, but still not much. Definitely not anything like the Ballast SS practice exam. In fact, PPD and PDD are very different than SS. That said, NCARB is not being completely transparent about the content on the exam. I recall 2 problems on PDD in which I needed equations that were not provided.
Barry

Postby randar82 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:36 am

Barry wrote:I recall 2 problems on PDD in which I needed equations that were not provided.

This was exactly my experience as well, and also were the only 2 questions that required a structural calculation. Since NCARB made a big point that the new format wasn't about memorizing, which is why they provided formulas, I focused on not memorizing formulas. I guess that was not the right strategy.
randar82

Postby ptzumd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:21 pm

I have taken both PPD and PDD and there was much less structural content on both than I was expecting. Understanding principles is much more important than understanding how to use equations. I would recommend studying structural concepts for the PPD exam, including earthquake and wind lateral forces, and then you will be in good shape, structurally speaking, for PDD.
Last edited by ptzumd on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ptzumd

Postby Renaissanceman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:28 pm

I am taking PPD at the end of the month. After going through most of Ballast 4.0 Review manual, I have started reading through the Structures chapters. However I am getting overwhelmed by the details and equation in the structures chapters. How much of PPD is structures and which are the chapters that we need to read through for PPD?
The following are on my reading list: (from the 4.0 Ballast review manual)
Chapter 10: Selection of Structural systems
Chapter 11: Loads on Buildings
Chapter 12: Structural Fundamentals
Chapter 17: Building code requirements on Structural design
Chapter 22: Lateral forces
Chapter 23: Lateral forces Earthquakes
Chapter 24: Long span structure - one way system
Chapter 25: Long span structures - two way systems.

PPD test takers, please advice and help.

Thanks!
Renaissanceman

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design