blackspectacles videos reviews 5.0

blackspectacles videos reviews 5.0

Postby AYLA » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:58 am

Did anyone used the blackspectacles videos for studying? I just subscribed for 1 month. Do you have any reviews/feedback please!
AYLA

Re: blackspectacles videos reviews 5.0

Postby thd7t » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:42 pm

Look at the second topic from the bottom on the PPD page of the forum. However, no one can say if it's helped them pass, yet.
thd7t

Postby AYLA » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:07 pm

Thank you!
AYLA

Postby l.laliberte » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:50 pm

Having gone through a lot of the blackspectacles content for PPD, I have mixed feelings.

Mike Newman is great at explaining particular items, ie, how a waffle slab is formed or how a DX unit works. He draws lots of diagrams and explains each step of the way. However, I found his material often seemed aimed at someone who was starting from scratch. And if you are taking PPD, you have likely already studied SPD, PPP, etc. He explains well, but repeats himself ad nauseam. By the third time he repeats the same thing, I find myself yelling at the screen "I get it!"

So, helpful, but in retrospect I would aim to be more targeted with the videos I watched. Ie, particular systems (don't know what a chilled beam is? watch that video). But with 28 hours of video, you need to target the sections you watch.
l.laliberte

Postby erdbm » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:42 am

Agreed--I've been watching the videos to get the overall concepts, and then reading through the corresponding Ballast 4.0 chapters. Its a helpful bridge into the Ballast content, which I feel like sometimes jumps in at a level that is too specific if you dont already understand the topic. I dont think you'd be able to pass PPD by only watching the videos...
erdbm

Postby AVITWeb » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:39 am

I agree....His information for 5.0 is very basic at best. As if you are a person just starting out and know almost nothing. I think their 4.0 videos were much better at the details. However, there are so many videos, there is information that i have some across on occasion where I said "Oh yeah, I should remember that!" So it is not useless by any stretch, but it does seem bloated.
AVITWeb

Postby jzint702 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:24 pm

I found his videos on PPD to be pretty good as a "stating point", especially if there's some fundamental concepts that you're not getting (mechanical systems in my case). If I were to do it over again, I would have started there, then went to ballast/kaplan for more detailed/in-depth content.

That said, I found the study materials for PDD to be completely redundant if you are studying for both exams at the same time. I would recommend the PPD stuff, and not waste your time on the PDD unless you're taking the tests far apart from one another. Feels like I wasted a lot of study time watching the PDD videos (got about 11 hours in before I came to my senses) that would have been better spent re-watching thaddeus or taking more Kaplan/Ballast 4.0 Q&A.
jzint702

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design