Tested this morning

Tested this morning

Postby cloudyy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:17 pm

I took 5.0 PPD earlier today. Overall, the test felt very much like 4.0. There were less WTF questions but there were several that had confusing wording. There were a couple hotspot/drag-and-drop-type questions that I was uneasy/unclear about the 'tolerances'. The case studies seemed like a more appropriate way of testing knowledge than the vignettes. The lag time was STAGGERING--I didn't have any time issue, but there's a 3-10 second lag on every question and each of the references in the case study, which over 120 questions adds up to at least 10 minutes of staring at the screen wondering if the program is broken.

In terms of studying, I only have 4.0 materials. I started casually reading Ballast and Kaplan chapters on BS and SS about 6-8 weeks ago and buckled down about a month ago, studying 4-8 hours each Sat/Sun. and aiming for 1hr of reading every weekday. I also did the Amber Book, read MEEB cover to cover, Jenny's notes for BS, BCDS, and SS, and Ballast tests (I don't like the Kaplan ones), and some videos. I really didn't know what to study as there's not that much guidance and felt so overwhelmed by the amount of information but I felt like as long as I kept 'moving' I was chipping away at it. The night before I reviewed Jenny's PPP notes for a refresher. Even though my studying was kind of scattered, I did feel actually kind of prepared for the test, which was really broad in content. That said, if (when) I have to study for this again, I would spend more time with SS and planning material.

I'm taking PDD on Jan. 31--I've gathered that it's really similar to PPD and since I'm on a roll I might as well take a stab at it while it's cheaper, and maybe I'm lucky enough to pass at least 1...I'm really anxious to get my scores back and super bummed that's probably going to be in the early summer. I...kind of think...I passed...? But last time I felt this way I failed so we'll just have to wait and see.
cloudyy

Re: Tested this morning

Postby Barry » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:45 pm

Thank you for the debriefing. I'm taking it tomorrow afternoon. I've been reading, well, almost all of Ballast. However, I feel like it often goes way too deep to be very useful.

My question: I failed SS this fall (why I transferred to 5.0), so I'm hoping PPD doesn't have the ridiculous structural problems SS did. How did you feel about the large span of information covered? I'm thinking the exams will need to be much more general, vs getting into detail about the spacing of bolts.
Barry

Postby cloudyy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:19 pm

Don't worry about the calculations at all, or something as specific as bolt spacing (maybe these kinds of things would show up in PDD?). Focus on the big concepts: how forces move through structures and the result of that movement; understand when and why different structural systems are used, and be able to compare and contrast them. Good luck!
cloudyy

Postby Barry » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Thank you. I feel like it went pretty well. I'm taking PDD next week.
Barry

Postby cloudyy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:52 am

Good luck! I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on PDD comparing to PPD...
cloudyy

Postby nickp1085 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:01 pm

Based on everyones reviews for PPD, I don't believe I've read anyone saying BDCS was highlighted at all. Dominantly just PPP, SPD, SS, BS. I would still study BDCS from 4.0 but just wondering if I should devote as much time to it as I would SS and BS?
nickp1085

Postby architect23 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:37 pm

I would also be very curious about extent of BDCS content, as a previous poster on another thread mentioned there is little BDCS. Can anyone advise without giving away content? Thanks!
architect23

Postby Barry » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:52 am

architect23 wrote:I would also be very curious about extent of BDCS content, as a previous poster on another thread mentioned there is little BDCS. Can anyone advise without giving away content? Thanks!

It's hard for me to say. After taking SPD, PPP, CDS, BS, SS, PPD, and PDD all of the exams start to run together. BDCS is in there that's for certain, but the content is so all over the place, it's hard to focus on one thing you should study.
Barry

Postby thekarmagirl » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Hello, everyone, getting started studying for PPD, I've been reading through the previous content & ask for your patience, since I'm new on the forum.... Can anyone explain to me where we are with specific PPD study materials being available? Are there SOLELY Ballast study guides right now, which someone said below seemed somewhat incomplete... ? Is there a good guide that we have found yet or recommend? I've sort of had my 'ears plugged' about it all until I got through PPP, SPD, & CDs, and the time is NOW to get focused on v.5.0

Thank you for catching me up...
:roll:
thekarmagirl

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design