Took the test on Friday

Took the test on Friday

Postby OCArch » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:23 am

And apparently I was one of the first 3 testing candidates in the nation to take an ARE5.0 division on the first day anyone tested. I only found this out via a private email from the Director of Examination when he wrote to tell me that they had mistakenly already posted my exam result as fail. Its a huge system so small bugs are totally understandable, and I appreciated the personal email. I am being told that obviously they are still working on their cut-score, so there isnt even a threshold to pass yet.

My personal reasons for taking the test so early were varied. Obviously there arent established resources and concentrations that are agreed upon like the 4.0 tests, so I really just wanted to do a dry-run of the test to scout it. the $100 back that I can get is a bonus as I am getting a 50% discount. And if I actually manage to pass, hey even better.

I am running under the assumption that I did not pass, although i give myself about a 30% of passing. Best case scenario i can help lower the cut-score for future attempt(s)! You guys can thank me later.

In terms of study materials, I basically just looked at the 4.0 to 5.0 conversion sheet, and studied the tests that made up this one. I went through the individual forums and tried to find a minimal but comprehensive study package for each of the sections. In this case, I studied the Ballast books for BDCS, Structural Systems, read a little bit of the Illustrated Building codes book, and didnt actually get to study much of the Building Systems and Schematic Design chapters, but I will definitely be doing so for my next test (if i have to take it)

I didnt study SPD chapters as that was my most recent ARE4.0 test that I passed.

So if you can find room in a nearby testing location (I had to drive over 2 hours away to one of the furthest testing centers from me to find any open seats sooner than mid-December) I would definitely recommend just taking the test, because the format is very different from the 4.0 tests. My only criticsm of the test itself was noticeable 'lag' in the computer when going from question to question, or accessing the reference materials that are given. It was slight, but more than enough to throw me off or frustrate me. I used the entire 4.5 hours of my time, along with one of my breaks. I would recommend waiting to take your break as long as you can, as i can see some tactical use for it.

Good luck to everyone and I can update the forum once I hear anything back if anyone is interested.

I think NCARB was saying it will be 6-10 weeks
OCArch

Re: Took the test on Friday

Postby tmston2 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:36 am

I test wed. I feel pretty confident in spite of the different presentation of material that I could pass without any 5.0 study material.
I have ony used 4.0 ballast, kaplan, jenny's notes, internet searches, and ARE Coach. Im hoping I fall into the pool of 600 people on this
one.
Did you find a broad range of subject questions (structure, building systems, etc.) or do feel they were evenly spread out with evenly difficulty?
Thanks
tmston2

Postby OCArch » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:17 pm

Assuming you have taken previous ARE tests, I felt it was pretty similar to existing tests where some information felt more thinly spread in terms of focus, and some was more bunched up. I obviously dont want to describe too much that would piss anyone off at NCARB. There were definitely a couple concepts or sections that had more questions attributed than others but I felt like it was equivalent to the average densities in previous test (small groupings of questions with occasional stragglers on their own).

That being said the entire test covers a pretty wide breadth of information types, but it felt more 'general' than super-hard 'gotcha' type questions (although both certainly existed). Having taken the earlier tests really helped fill in the background questions, and I feel that just actual scenarios that I have covered in my professional career also filled in some gaps.

I too was worried about being one of the 600, but it sounds like actual registrations are pretty low. I expect that most people werent able to get a seat at prometric this close to release date. I do wonder if they will be announcing general numbers because i may want to hop in and take PDD just for giggles as well.

That being said, I retain information pretty well so my study strategy sounds very similar to yours, and I intent to basically do more of it in case I failed this test. I honestly didnt even get through the majority of the the Ballast/Kaplan study guides and was winging it but I feel like if i do take the tests again, I wont be modifying my strategy too heavily.

I was slightly surprised by the case study questions, as I must not have understood their make-up in the study materials. While there is no graphic vignette, these obviously are taking the place of that section of the test. The section took me a little longer than i had expected so i would give yourself enough time for that portion.
OCArch

Postby tmston2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:57 am

Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking of taking PDD also, and after thinking about it, I prob. should have took that one first. called ncarb but they said I cannot switch exams.
so as soon as i get another $210 im scheduling an exam.
anyhow gud luck to you in your licensure pursuit
tmston2

Postby architect23 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:13 am

Hey, I just posted this question elsewhere, but figured I'd ask you guys as well based on your experience! Do you think that studying the 4.0 BS and BDCS vignettes are helpful in preparing for the question types of the 5.0 PPD exam?

Did schematic design also play a role in this test?
architect23

Postby sirspens » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:33 pm

architect23 wrote:Did schematic design also play a role in this test?

Not in the same way the old test did.
sirspens

Postby tmston2 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:35 pm

I responded in the other post, but not at all IMHO
tmston2

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design