Architect Exam Prep study material released today

Architect Exam Prep study material released today

Postby sirspens » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:55 pm

I downloaded the Architect Exam Prep (aka Whole Enchilada) study material for PPD today. My first impression is that it is REALLY LONG. The study book is ~375 pages with the audio companion just a bit over 14 hours. That is just short of twice as long as the average for their 4.0 series study material.

I started to listen to the audio companion while driving between site visits today, and also looked over their table of contents. Having taken and passed CDS, PPP and SPD using their material, I estimate about 1/3 to 1/2 of it to be repeat material from those tests.

With 12 days between now and November 1, that is over an hour per day of reading (at audio companion speed). Now, that is assuming being able to schedule a test within a few days of the switch over kicking in. My plan is to do as much studying as possible and to take PPD and PDD the same week (I'll have to wing studying for PDD) and hope for the best. My hope is that worst case scenario is failing PDD. But by the time I find that out, there will actually be study material available for it. Plus, I will have taken a version of it, which seems to me to be pretty good preparation.

If you haven't gotten the AEP study material yet, it is available.

Good luck to everyone!
sirspens

Re: Architect Exam Prep study material released today

Postby seaccs » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:24 pm

That sounds ambitious, but I wish you luck. I'm hoping to get mine scheduled in the early part of Dec. and I think that might be expecting too much. Either way, I've scheduled my studying to cover the material by the end of November. If I can't get an opening in early Dec. I'll probably schedule both PPD and PDD close to one another and just study for both leading up to it.

I just logged into My.NCARB to look at what my options were if I were to schedule a test today (I was using BDCS as a way to look at the schedule). There were only a handful of days in Dec that had an opening. And those could fill up before the end of the month. It could be better in areas with less demand for the testing center.
seaccs

Postby architect23 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:25 pm

Sirspens- thanks for the review! That is helpful. Please let us know if it is worth the purchase for PPD.
architect23

Postby sirspens » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:37 am

seaccs- I passed my last test about 6 weeks ago, and I have been casually studying BDCS, SS & BS material since then. So I am feeling pretty good about this, as I will have at least two months of studying behind me. I passed SPD with only 3 weeks between it and PPP.

architect23- I am a little over halfway through the PPD study material right now, and I can tell you it is, for the most part, a reorganized version of the study material from BDCS, SS & BS, concentrating on SD & early DD level concepts, with a little SPD and PPP thrown in there. Probably about 10% of it has been new, so far. That said... that is exactly what the ARE exam guide describes this test as.
sirspens

Postby aylo12 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:57 pm

sirspens wrote:I downloaded the Architect Exam Prep (aka Whole Enchilada) study material for PPD today. My first impression is that it is REALLY LONG. The study book is ~375 pages with the audio companion just a bit over 14 hours.

This probably a stupid question but can you share the link to the mentioned download? Thanks
aylo12

Postby sirspens » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:08 pm

aylo12 wrote:
sirspens wrote:I downloaded the Architect Exam Prep (aka Whole Enchilada) study material for PPD today. My first impression is that it is REALLY LONG. The study book is ~375 pages with the audio companion just a bit over 14 hours.

This probably a stupid question but can you share the link to the mentioned download? Thanks

Well, you have to purchase it.

They only have PPD available for 5.0 right now.
sirspens

Postby sirspens » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:13 pm

So, I just got through my first time through the AEP PPD material. Honestly, I found it very hard to get through. Between the internal repetition and the repetition from other materials of their I have already studied, it was a slog. I think with good editing, you could shorten this by a third, easily.

That isn't to say the material isn't good. It is. But they need to go back and edit this again. There was just far too much repeated material.

My plan now is to go through the study material and cut out everything I feel comfortable with, and as much of the repetition as possible.
sirspens

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design