HELLLLLLLP

HELLLLLLLP

Postby toshea13 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:26 pm

My head is about to explode with the amount of material that's needed to study from NCARB's Matrix of References. I thought I would be able to knock this exam out in 4-6 weeks but I am having the absolute WORST time trying to retain any information for this exam. The amount of info for this exam is similar to PPP but on STEROIDS!! Any one have any suggestions on what to study?

I currently have no experience with the IBC so I'm trying to find practice exams that are IBC related. I have Kaplan 4.0 (all exams), Ballast 4.0, Ballast 5.0, flashcards galore (even from 3.1) AEP, Black Spectacles, and Building Codes Illustrated. I cracked open a few books, but I'm just overwhelmed with everything!

HELP PLEASEEEEEE
:shock:
toshea13

Re: HELLLLLLLP

Postby kerzzo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:53 pm

I hear ya, I cannot attest that it works, but I have opted to read the reference books as much as possible...of course, taking some quizzes or flash cards from 4.0 Nalsa and other sources for terms etc. it takes a long time, but I have high hopes that the hybrid way of studying not using "guide" books will help---

I use quizlet...go to quizlet.com, a lot of people like us have spent time adding flashcards and quizzes on many different subjects including ARE and things like IBC, ADA and ANSI just do a search and find the ones that better suit you

you may want to also use the Ching book (building code illustrated).
I m thinking of investing on designer hacks quizzes, but have not heard anything positive yet, but from their trial quizzes, I get the feeling of a real exam...I'll decide over the weekend.

not too much info, but I hope this helps---a lot of us are in desperate mode--if we thought PPP was hard, these new exams are extremely broad in content...
kerzzo

Postby toshea13 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 pm

thanks kerzzo! I took the 5.0 exam this weekend and got a 50%. So it looks like i need to go back to square one and try to see if I can retain some more of this information
toshea13

Postby bwatts259 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:49 am

Amber Book. I purchased the series a month ago, testing next week. I haven’t taken this monster of an exam yet but I will say this is the best single resource I have ever had. You can check out some of his videos by searching “Michael Erman” on youtube.
bwatts259

Postby toshea13 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:16 am

@BWATTS259, but they are SOOOOOOOOO expensive. I'm a baller on a budget lol. Is it really worth it? Have you taken any of the other exams?
toshea13

Postby bwatts259 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:33 am

They are crazy expensive, I struggled with the thought of actually spending that damn much on one resource. Team up with someone and save $100. I have taken ppp spd and cds. Now planning on PPD next week. The book they send is awesome and the videos are seriously the best I have ever seen. Black spectacles are really good too and they have a monthly subscription option. What’s so good about Amber is All of the diagrams, animations and in the field examples. Literally none of it is just a guy with a tripod. They are all similar to those YouTube videos I mentioned earlier. I mean I haven’t passed the test yet but even if I don’t, this is all knowledge that will make a better architect.
bwatts259

Postby toshea13 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:33 pm

thanks bwatts259! I may have to suck it up and find someone to purchase this with :cry:
toshea13

Postby bwatts259 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Yea they are totally worth it, if you are a visual learner. Reading stuff like MEEB and some of the notes just get old and I totally lose focus. Really up to you but I don’t regret buying it now that I am through all of the videos. Took me about a month to get through them all. I would suggest keeping a notebook and take notes of each video to study from. Good luck!
bwatts259

Postby BrendanLead » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:00 pm

bwatts259 wrote:Yea they are totally worth it, if you are a visual learner. Reading stuff like MEEB and some of the notes just get old and I totally lose focus. Really up to you but I don’t regret buying it now that I am through all of the videos. Took me about a month to get through them all. I would suggest keeping a notebook and take notes of each video to study from. Good luck!

Did you have any issues with them getting back to you? I emailed AMBER Books and have not received a reply back.
BrendanLead

Postby erinrcollins » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:36 pm

First, breath.

Pick 3 sources from the NCARB references, and use those. I used Architectural Graphics Standards, Building Construction Illustrated, and MEEB. I also added in The Architect's Studio Companion after I failed PPD (passed the 2nd time). When studying for a certain topic, cross reference all 3 or 4 sources--- dont read one book, then another, then another.

For codes, dont read IBC. Read Building codes Illustrated 2x, and make flashcards out of ANSI A117.1. That will get you through the code sections of the exams.

When studying for PPD and PDD, put the topics into context of either Design Development and Preliminary Planning Stages (PPD), and the Construction documents Phase (PDD). For example, if you are studying mechanical systems, how would choose between a VAV system or a 2 or 4 pipe fin tube system for a hospital, school or office, in the design development phase? In the CD phase, can you look at the drawings and make sure that there are enough mechanical vents to provide coverage for a room?

It is a lot to go through, but study only the main concepts, dont worry about details. Make sure you know how to apply the main concepts. Know your illustrations from MEEB and AGS, understand them.
erinrcollins

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design