Early Testers Opinion

Early Testers Opinion

Postby chinchillin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Has anyone that has taken this exam have an opinion on how it went/things to study?
chinchillin

Re: Early Testers Opinion

Postby chinchillin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:32 am

I'll answer my post since I just took this test.

Previously I had passed CDS and PPP on first try in 4.0 and failed SPD in 4.0 before making the switch to 5.0. I got the early incentive bonus so I figured I would start with Programming and Analysis since that was mostly fresh in my head and also covered topics from PPP in 4.0.

I felt that the new 5.0 was better and worse in different cases from 4.0. Things that I liked about 5.0 are the new hot spot and drag and drop questions. Also, it seems like they are using a really similar pool of questions from 4.0 as I had a couple repeat questions from my 4.0 SPD test. I did not like the case studies however. Having familiarity with the IBC book I wasn't very concerned about having to know where to look in the sections to answer the questions but they were much more difficult than I was expecting. Not to mention time consuming, especially waiting 3-8 seconds for the reference pages to load when scrolling from page to page. The non-case study questions loaded fairly quickly between questions (3 seconds max.) which I heard was a big problem with other test takers in 5.0 but was a non-factor for me. I've always been a quick test taker and with the 4.0 tests I always had at least 30 minutes to review any flagged questions but with the 5.0 test yesterday I had less than 5 minutes to review my flag questions and was rushed trying to get thru all 95 questions.

My strategy was to answer the normal multiple choice questions first since they are weighted the exact same as the case study questions so I think it was better for me to get thru as many questions as possible and get a rhythm before being slowed down by the case studies, but that is just my opinion.

I studied AHPP, Kaplan SPD, SWMPP, ADA, IBC, and did quick review of Caroline or Jenny's notes for PPP just as a quick refresher on the basic concepts from that content.

I probably won't know the score report for another couple weeks but I'm still glad I made the switch despite feeling uneasy about the case study questions. I was a big fan of the 4.0 vignettes and wish that they kept the vignettes instead of the case studies. These are just my opinions and hopefully this helps the others out there prepare in some way. Big shout out to everyone on all the forums who spend time helping us get thru this process!
chinchillin

Postby vinzcha » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Did you get results yet?
I have a similar experience in that I passed CDS & PPP but failed SPD in 4.0, then transitioned to 5.0 and am starting with P&A. I'm trying to figure out the right way to prep and am most concerned with the case studies and overall timing.
Seems like there aren't any practice resources for the case studies like there are for the vignettes, unless I've missed them somewhere on NCARB's website.
Anyway, hope it worked out for you!
vinzcha

Postby chinchillin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:07 am

The scores for P&A come out in mid April I believe so I'm still waiting on that. The timing is by far the biggest factor in my opinion and I've always been a quick test taker. Know the IBC really well and I think that will save some precious time on the normal questions and case studies. From my experience with the 2 5.0 exams that I've taken so far the case studies can be anything so it's difficult to prep for them. They are somewhere in the realm of the specified exam but will have questions from all other test sections. They can be multiple choice, drag and drop, and hot spot format type questions. Very similar to the non-case study questions but the difference is you will have to answer 6 to 12 questions per each case study. Good luck on your studying and on the exam!
chinchillin

Postby chinchillin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:46 am

Got my score report this morning and it was a PASS! 2 left, PPD and PDD!
chinchillin

Postby xnokturnx » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Sweet, Chinchillin!
xnokturnx

Postby vinzcha » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Congrats!
I passed too :D

Yes, on to PPD and PDD - good luck!
vinzcha

Postby kerzzo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:19 am

congrats to all who passed! I took the same approach as chinchillin, but failed the PA(badly) and I did prepare for about a month... time running out did affect me I have to say, but getting 3s and 4s on 3 categories I did not really count on...plan to retake in August---will do PPD and PDD in the meantime this July.
kerzzo

Postby kerzzo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:02 am

I see very little discussions on 5.0 and starting to worry.
hopefully more people will get involved soon.
kerzzo

Postby rbbarnh1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:29 am

If I pass PPP then I will be on here much more. Im just waiting on exam results. then will have PA, PPD and PDD.
rbbarnh1

Postby kerzzo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:39 pm

rbbarnh1 wrote:If I pass PPP then I will be on here much more. Im just waiting on exam results. then will have PA, PPD and PDD.

How did it go for you?did you transition?
kerzzo

Postby rbbarnh1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:02 pm

kerzzo wrote:
rbbarnh1 wrote:If I pass PPP then I will be on here much more. Im just waiting on exam results. then will have PA, PPD and PDD.

Well. I did not pass PPP so I am not a 5.0-er. I transitioned last week then went on a vacation. haha. now im back and more than ready to kick some P&A butt! It appears this exam is very similar to PPP. At least the Brightwood chapters appear so. Anyone take this exam?
rbbarnh1

Postby kerzzo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:13 pm

rbbarnh1 wrote:
kerzzo wrote:

Well. I did not pass PPP so I am not a 5.0-er. I transitioned last week then went on a vacation. haha. now im back and more than ready to kick some P&A butt! It appears this exam is very similar to PPP. At least the Brightwood chapters appear so. Anyone take this exam?

hi, well, yes, that happens./..i passed PPP in three attempts in a period of 6 months-- i think this was one of the 3 hardest in ARE 4.0
as far as PA, I believe there is a tremendous overlap of SPD 4.0 and PPP-- I became a non-fan of Brightwood, but it may work for you. dont take it from me, but I am going to the books cited in the handbook, and I know it takes longer to study, but also Nalsa flashcards from SPD 4.0 and PPP 4.0(PPP just to refresh), also since one of the sections is Social and environmental, also hitting that topic hard may help along with the typical codes and regulations even if it's a small percentage, but as we all know, those little points may make up for any other missed question--specially in the case studies.
kerzzo

Return to PA - Programming & Analysis