Failed this test

Failed this test

Postby ShadowVFX » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:16 am

Well, I am rather frustrated. I had spent 2 months getting ready for this test and probably put in 25+ hours of studying my material (Brightwood's study guide and ARE 5 Review Manual) and could answer nearly every question without issue. In the practice exams, study questions and end of chapter quizzes. Despite this, I failed this test.

On the first test (Practice Management), I felt like I did poorly, but ended up passing it. Conversely, I thought I did alright (not great) on this one, but nope…I failed. I did notice that there were some things required on the test that were not even discussed or hinted at in my study material…such as knowing how many SF are in an acre. (This is NOT the test question, but it was a factor required to solve the overall question) I wasn’t aware I would need to study conversion charts to be prepared to answer all the questions on this test. Should I also start studying how many acres are in a hectare? I’m only partially kidding about that last one.

It frustrates me to have things that require obscure conversion numbers on a general test like this. In the “Resources” tab on the test, they had info for Electrical, Plumbing & Structural conversions and equations. But of course, no Civil tab with info that may have been helpful. In the real world a 4 second Google search would tell me how many SF are in an acre and I could’ve completed the rest of that question…but I didn’t know that ratio, and I’m not alone - neither do any of the architects at my office after I asked them.

In short, I’m demoralized because I don’t feel I can study any more to prepare for this test. I could basically go through my current study material with my eyes closed. I will check out the ARE Matrix the two other posters mentioned in other threads. That’s the only other thing I can think of studying at this point.
ShadowVFX

Re: Failed this test

Postby Coach » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:30 pm

For an architect, knowing how many sf are in an acre is no different than knowing there are 12" in a foot.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: Failed this test

Postby Sarcasmo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:25 am

ShadowVFX -- sorry to hear about your test result.

Can I ask -- who recommended the study material you chose to use?
Sarcasmo

Return to PjM - Project Management