Passed in San Francisco!

Passed in San Francisco!

Postby Juyaya » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:16 pm

It’s been 11 years and 4 months since I first became eligible to take the ARE. So you can imagine the sense of relief when I received the letter of congratulations for passing on 1/2/2020. I’ve finally finished all the exams for California licensure! Thank you all for your immense help during this grueling process, I couldn’t have done it without this forum. So here is my small token of appreciation in sharing my own experience, hope someone will find it helpful and encouraging in their own journey.

Here are some of the major areas you really need to know inside-and-out:
AIA documents – know the responsibilities of the Owner, Contractor, and Architect during the different phases of project design.
Where you are in the design process (whether it’s SD, DD, CD, bid, or CA) is crucial in answering the application-format exam questions.
Schiff Hardin's lectures have been very helpful for me in bringing the dry legal AIA documents alive. They are filled with real-life examples explaining why a section is important: https://www.schiffhardin.com/profession ... notes-2019
Governments – know the various jurisdictions governing constructions near bodies of water (whether it’s a wetland, river/stream, or coast) and know the CEQA process.
I know it can be really confusing with all the crossovers and permit pre-requests so I’ve created a study document outlining them, message me if you are interested.
California Energy Code and CALGreen – it was enough for me to just read the Woo summary and related TWE sections, but both are very important to know.
Other areas – what is included in a bid document/construction document ... Designer’s Lien/Mechanic’s Lien/Stop Notice ... and different types of specifications ...

Lastly, a word of caution, please do not take the Woo’s mock exams right before your test date. Take them at least a week before so you still have some time to study. Otherwise, you might have your confidence level crushed like mine did. I scored 54% on the Woo’s exam and was devastated when going in to take the CSE.

Good luck everyone, you can do it!
Juyaya

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM