CAB Official Sample Question

CAB Official Sample Question

Postby cafefille » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:02 am

I just took the sample questions here and got the first one wrong:
https://www.cab.ca.gov/candidates/cse/s ... ions.shtml

Given the soil type, the civil engineer calculates that an additional bioswale is required for the site. The civil engineer asks the architect for the best location for the bioswale. Which of the following locations should the architect recommend?

The correct answer is Northeast of the exterior patio off the Multipurpose Room. I know a bioswale directs away debris in water. I thought the answer would be Southwest of the existing Recreation Building as I see that the topography there slopes down toward the building. I'm guessing the correct answer is correct because you want to direct any debris coming off the building away...?
I'm also not totally clear on what the soil type has to do with directing debris away...

Thank you in advance!
cafefille

Re: CAB Official Sample Question

Postby Coach » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:39 pm

cafefille wrote:I thought the answer would be Southwest of the existing Recreation Building as I see that the topography there slopes down toward the building.

There's very little room there and it's at the top of the funnel. Also, overflow goes to insignificant areas. You can "feel" answers to questions like these. What feels right? Don't overthink it. Drainage... look downhill.

I'm also not totally clear on what the soil type has to do with directing debris away...

It's irrelevant to you, but it's a contributing factor of the CE's determination.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: CAB Official Sample Question

Postby cafefille » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:59 pm

Makes sense. Thank you!!
cafefille

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM