PASS in Burbank & HOW I DID IT

PASS in Burbank & HOW I DID IT

Postby mfc » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:57 pm

This is one of my first times posting in this Forum throughout this whole journey, but I have been a very active reader and I appreciate everyone who has shared their knowledge, so at this time I feel I owe the same to the Forum to share my experience.

I just PASSED the CSE exam last Monday. It's been a hell of a journey from taking the ARE's to finally passing the CSE.
Here is how I did it:

- Timeline:
I studied for a total of 3-4 months as I procrastinated a bit because I took various trips in between my study time. But it can be done in a 3 month period with focused study.
What was very helpful for me was laying out a schedule (on an actual piece of paper...) how I was going to distribute my available time to study, with marked down deadlines of when I needed to tackle and complete each portion of the study. That kept me focused...
I started studying 1-2h on weekdays and 4 hours on weekends whenever I could, as of course life and work always get in the way.
Don't stress to keep the schedule too firm, I always ended up balancing my time in the end, like if I studied less one day I could study more the next, etc.
The last 2 weeks I laid out a very tight and focused schedule, and marked down on the calendar what I needed to complete each day for the last 2 weeks of study. This would help me focus on my study each day and be sure I wasn't leaving anything out.
For that I did 4hr on weekdays and 6-8hr on weekends.
With this layout, I felt fully prepared and CONFIDENT when I sat down for the test.

- Study Material:
- TWE (The whole enchilada): Good source, tackles every topic. I read the whole thing 3 times thought the 3-4 month period. What I found really helpful and easy to focus, was to read the Guide along with the Audio Companion @ 1.7 speed. I was skeptical about the Audio companion at first, as I am a very visual person, but give this a try, it will ease your study effort so much.
- TWE OMCES: I took these the last month and ended up scoring at the high 90% in the end. Great source to retain the info.
- TWE 3 project Scenario: helpful in understating the actual format of the CSE.
- Woo study Guide: I read this once and re-read the Energy and CalGreen code chapters as he has some great summary notes on that.
- Woo Exams: More convoluted/specific questions. I disagreed with some of the answers but I learned from them that's for sure.
- CalGREEN Building Code, Non-residential mandatory measures: Know this very well.
- Wetland project permitting guide: read + understand the Big four, very important.
- Caroline's CDS Notes: great refresher for the AIA Contracts, etc. Give this a one read.
- Mechanic's lien/Stop Notice/Design Professional Lien: read the main sources and understand deadlines, etc.
- Schiff Hardin Lectures: AIA Contracts. Know these inside out (AIA A-201, AIA B-102, AIA B-201), very important.

After going through all of these I was pretty confident and was able to fly through the exam in a calmly manner. The timing for the Project Scenario portion is tight, so you must work efficiently thought it. I was able to spear 15' in the end to re-read some of the questions.
The General section timing is more generous and I was also able to spare 20' or so to double check some of my answers.

I think with this I have shared my knowledge, I hope you find this helpful.
Good luck to all of you out there, it's quite a journey but with discipline and diligence you will power this through!

Thank you all and thank you COACH!!!
mfc

Re: PASS in Burbank & HOW I DID IT

Postby cloudyy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:06 pm

Wow this is a really helpful write-up. I'm going to steal your planned-out study schedule idea. Congratulations!
cloudyy

Postby mrsxag » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:25 pm

First off, congratulations!!! Thank you for sharing your study plan and materials. I have a 4 week study plan 4-6 hours 5 days a week. I am expecting in June so I need to take this at the beginning of the month. I passed my final ARE two weeks ago. Wish me luck!
Last edited by mrsxag on Thu May 03, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrsxag

Postby Coach » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:01 pm

mrsxag wrote:First off, congratulations!!! Thank you for sharing your study plan and materials. I have a 4 week study plan 4-6 hours 5 days a week. I am expecting in June so I need to take this at the beginning of the month. I hurt passed my final ARE two weeks ago. Wish me luck!

That would be nice, but I doubt it will happen. Ncarb has to notify CAB, CAB has to process and mail you an application, you have to mail it back with your check, they have to process application and mail back approval to test, then you need to find an open test slot.

I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but maybe it would be best to relax and have a baby. The test will still be there in 6 months. ;)
Coach
Site Admin

Postby cloudyy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Coach, what do you think the typical time is between finishing the ARE and taking the CSE with all the back and forth in between?
cloudyy

Postby Coach » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:07 pm

cloudyy wrote:Coach, what do you think the typical time is between finishing the ARE and taking the CSE with all the back and forth in between?

It's really hard to say. Assuming your record is in order and CAB will be able to document your 8 years without needing more info from you, these are the steps:
1) Ncarb notifies CAB of completion: Who knows? I've seen multiple reports of this taking weeks.
2) CAB evaluates file: If all in order, up to one week.
3) CAB mails application: 1 to 3 days.
4) You return completed application with check: 1 to 3 days.
5) CAB processes your application: Usually up to one week.
6) CAB returns authorization to test: 1 to 3 days.
7) Schedule exam: PSI availability varies. From what I've seen reported, earliest openings may be a week to a month out.

So, if all goes smoothly and ncarb decides to work, I'd say the minimum time from passing last ARE to taking CSE is 5 weeks. Realistically, I wouldn't count on anything less than 2 months.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby mrsxag » Thu May 03, 2018 12:59 pm

Coach, I already had my 8 years verified prior to completing the ARE. I recieved my App within a week and a half of passing my last structural exam. I am awaiting my authorization to test. I started studying right after I took my last ARE exam. Not missing a beat. So far looks like my projected timeline, just may work out.
mrsxag

Postby mrsxag » Mon May 14, 2018 12:37 pm

Coach wrote:
mrsxag wrote:First off, congratulations!!! Thank you for sharing your study plan and materials. I have a 4 week study plan 4-6 hours 5 days a week. I am expecting in June so I need to take this at the beginning of the month. I hurt passed my final ARE two weeks ago. Wish me luck!

That would be nice, but I doubt it will happen. Ncarb has to notify CAB, CAB has to process and mail you an application, you have to mail it back with your check, they have to process application and mail back approval to test, then you need to find an open test slot.

I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but maybe it would be best to relax and have a baby. The test will still be there in 6 months. ;)

All Scheduled for June 5th. Looking forward to sitting for the exam.
mrsxag

Postby Coach » Mon May 14, 2018 3:15 pm

mrsxag wrote:All Scheduled for June 5th. Looking forward to sitting for the exam.

So it took roughly 8 weeks from taking last ARE to taking CSE. Did you make any "grease the skids" phone calls?

Good luck!
Coach
Site Admin

Postby mrsxag » Wed May 16, 2018 12:03 am

Coach wrote:
mrsxag wrote:All Scheduled for June 5th. Looking forward to sitting for the exam.

So it took roughly 8 weeks from taking last ARE to taking CSE. Did you make any "grease the skids" phone calls?

Good luck!

No phone calls necessary and there were plenty of exam appointments availible in my area. I could have chosen to take it this week but I wanted more time to study.
mrsxag

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM