Passed!

Passed!

Postby xiaoying » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:33 pm

Passed in Oregon. I studied for 4 months (including 3 months waiting for NCARB to transfer my records to the state and CAB to grant authorization to take the exam. I felt pretty good during the exam and ended up marking only about 20% of the questions.

Materials used:
1) The 3 AIA docs: most important. The exam is much like an updated version of CDS to me. I took ARE 4.0, but I found ARE 5.0 practice questions super helpful for this exam. Between David's, Woo's, ARE 4.0 and 5.0 practice questions, I found ARE 5.0 questions closest to the real CSE exam.
2) Whole Enchilada: very helpful. I listened to the audio during my daily commute and it helped a lot. I didn't click the links in the study guide and don't feel like losing anything. The questions regarding California codes/agencies are pretty shallow and are mostly covered in the audio. David's questions are easier than the real exam for sure. His project vignettes are better than general questions though.
3) Woo's study guide and 2 mock exams: not a big fan. David's material covers more contents and his interpretation of agency hierarchy & responsibilities is more clear than woo's. Woo's study guide is precise, but you will need to do extra homework yourself. I have heard before the exams that woo's mock exams are close to the real exam, but this is not the case for me. Yes they are both difficult, but in very different ways. Woo's questions ask about specific details, which makes them hard; however, CSE exam is more about using your experience and judgement to deal with scenarios like in real world. I did get a few questions regarding codes and technical details, but nothing unreasonably specific.
4) pass x flash cards: not necessary if you get whole enchilada or woo's materials.

Good luck to you all!
xiaoying

Re: Passed!

Postby drabby » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:57 pm

quick question:
where did you get the material for the ARE 5.0?

All I see is the one handbook with a few questions per section.
Is that the one?
drabby

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM