Pass in Burbank!

Pass in Burbank!

Postby gbalaka » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:13 pm

Took the CSE for the second time yesterday (Jan 2nd at 8am). That 180 day period felt like forever and I schedule the exam just after that time frame.

The first time around, I only used TWE, which is a great study guide and I truly felt prepared, but the exam has a language of its own. This time around, I also used the Woo mock exams as well as really dive more into the Code. As a result, I have a bunch of code books now on my iPad and i've bookmarked them all. I don't Google things anymore and I just look them up in the Code as I now know where to look. If i didn't have to retake this exam, I probably would have never done that.

For those of you who do not pass on the first try - don't be too bitter. Taking the exam itself is a great learning experience and it better prepared me for the retake.

The feeling of completing this final exam and finally earning the title of Architect is surreal and I hope you all get to experience that.

Good luck to the rest of you and see you around!
gbalaka

Re: Pass in Burbank!

Postby standard » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Congrats! I’ve been licensed for about year and half now - and its definitely a good feeling to be at the jobsite and some one will introduce you and say “this is the architect” and you dont have to think or say “well not really...” Of course the license is more than just that - but in the end to me its really mostly about “street cred” - which is a good thing to have.

You make a good point about having to study and restudy. Being a truly good architect means knowing your stuff. Not just half-aszing it. Really knowing how to do a code analysis. Understanding accessibilty. Knowing FLS codes and concepts - egress, fire rated constructuon, etc. I get challenged on this stuff everyday whether in the field or in the office. I keep several very good code book references at my desk and guys in the office often ask me for help on code issues or details and I often open up one of books to have a solid basis for my info. Of course understanding and knowing codes is just part of our job. There is so much to learn and a lot of you have to learn by doing.

Again Congrats! and never stop learning.
standard

Postby gbalaka » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:14 pm

standard wrote:Congrats! I’ve been licensed for about year and half now - and its definitely a good feeling to be at the jobsite and some one will introduce you and say “this is the architect” and you dont have to think or say “well not really...” Of course the license is more than just that - but in the end to me its really mostly about “street cred” - which is a good thing to have.

You make a good point about having to study and restudy. Being a truly good architect means knowing your stuff. Not just half-aszing it. Really knowing how to do a code analysis. Understanding accessibilty. Knowing FLS codes and concepts - egress, fire rated constructuon, etc. I get challenged on this stuff everyday whether in the field or in the office. I keep several very good code book references at my desk and guys in the office often ask me for help on code issues or details and I often open up one of books to have a solid basis for my info. Of course understanding and knowing codes is just part of our job. There is so much to learn and a lot of you have to learn by doing.

Again Congrats! and never stop learning.

Thanks for the kind words and very well put! Hehe, I like the "street cred" part. I now look forward to all that is yet to come as a result of this - whatever it may be. One thing's for sure - I'm not going to just treat this like a piece of paper as it took a lot of sweat and tears to attain it.

Now I need to maintain being a good Architect as there are still a million things to learn.
gbalaka

Postby AREctct » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:10 am

Congratulations! This exam is definitely the cherry on top.
AREctct

Postby stuarth » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:18 am

Appreciate your advice. Look forward to testing in the next 6 months.
stuarth

Postby tdmiller » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:02 pm

gbalaka wrote: As a result, I have a bunch of code books now on my iPad and i've bookmarked them all.

Can I ask which ones you picked up?
tdmiller

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM