After completing the ARE, How/When does CAB notify you?

After completing the ARE, How/When does CAB notify you?

Postby SDTK » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:29 pm

I took my final ARE this week (Schematic Design) and I am missing the anxiety that comes along with test prep.

Regardless of whether I passed or not, I am trying to now get a handle for the CSE testing process. I have read through their website and noted the following:

"A CSE application is mailed to the candidate by the Board once these requirements have been met. The application is not available on the website and is only provided to eligible candidates directly by the Board."

I completed the IDP before starting my ARE's this year. So how exactly is CAB notified that I have completed the ARE and IDP? Is this something I need to send/verify to them? Or are they automatically notified by NCARB since I am registered with NCARB in CA? How can I get the CSE application as soon as possible? And is there anything I can do now, to expedite the process of filling out the application and eventually scheduling an exam with PSI?

I'm really just trying to get a sense for timing, since I had a personal goal of completing the ARE/CSE before the end of the year, and I wonder if the CSE is even offered in the end of December with the holidays. How often is the CSE offered and how soon can someone typically schedule an exam once eligible. I was able to schedule ARE's with 1 or 2 weeks notice in San Diego.

Looking forward to participating in this new world (the CSE messageboards)... Thank you in advance.
SDTK

Re: After completing the ARE, How/When does CAB notify you?

Postby gbalaka » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:41 am

You'll have to call NCARB and have them send your records to CAB (your AXP records). NCARB only notifies CAB that you passed your AREs.

I also had all my IDP finished way before my last ARE. After I passed my last ARE, I got a letter from CAB saying that i did not meet the 8 year work experience because all they had was my ARE results and my 5 years in school. They had zero of my IDP stuff. NCARB is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slow. I was calling them every day....

I took my last ARE (also Schematic Design) on March 30th of this year.

I was very very eager to take the CSE and wasn't able to register for one until Mid June and scheduled my exam for June 20th.....so it took almost 3 months for me. I'm not sure if it's possible for you to take the CSE by the end of the year. You'd have to be pretty lucky for that. Plus i'm not sure how reactive NCARB or CAB is during the holidays. You know....with people taking vacation and whatnot.

You're pretty much at the mercy of first NCARB and then CAB which only deals through snail mail. They're not the fastest people in the world and you pretty much just have to wait and be patient.

Needless to say, i did not pass the CSE (i think i missed it by 3%) and will be taking it again in January.

It's a lot of material to study and in my case, most of what was on my exam was not covered in what I studied.

Good luck.
gbalaka

Postby oneonth3run » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:48 am

I recently completed my AXP hours and have passed my ARE's, a few days ago I received an email from NCARB stating that;

"A certified copy of your Council Record, indicating completion of the NCARB education, training and examination standards, will be transmitted to the California architectural board as the final step toward licensure.

Our standard processing time to electronically transmit your record is 7 to 10 business days from your receipt of this email correspondence."

I've heard from others that you need to actually call NCARB to have them transfer your records to the CAB, but it would seem from the email above that 's not necessary. Has anyone else received this email? I could call them anyway but would rather save myself the pleasure of being on hold for 20 minutes.

Thanks!
oneonth3run

Postby Coach » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:08 am

I never called ncarb. The process is automatic.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby csarate » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:42 am

I'm going through this right now. I received an email from NCARB congratulating me on completing the AXP and ARE within a week after my last pass; I had wrapped up my AXP hours before passing my last ARE. Though the process is automated, I was told it takes an average of 30 business days for NCARB to review your record (AXP + ARE) and then they send it to CAB.

The thing that had confused me was CAB sending me a letter two weeks after my final pass saying I need to contact NCARB so they can send my experience hours directly to CAB. This led me to calling NCARB and finding out the length of the process (mentioned above).
csarate

Postby SDTK » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:17 am

It took 4 months...
I don't even recall the whole process now, there was a hang up because NCARB did not have my transcripts from my unrelated BA degree. Apparently this was previously not required, but only recently became required to have official transcripts sent for unrelated BA degrees, though they already had my transcript for my M.Arch. I had to call NCARB several times, to inquire what the hold up was, they did not reach out to me to let me know the hang up. I provided them the requested transcript the very next day, but they tried to then put my file in the back of the line. I had to call several times. I passed the CSE yesterday, so as painful as it was to deal with NCARB, it's all done now, and worth it. Call or email them for your status.
SDTK

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM