Sample Question for Fun

Sample Question for Fun

Postby amplaylife » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:48 pm

After reading through AIA contracts and ESB Seismic Safety Act, I thought of and made up a question:

Maybe an unrealistic one, but thought I put it out for fun and see if anyone has any thoughts:

A Police Building is constructed on a Community College Campus in Newport Beach within the coastal zone.
You as the Architect designs Upper Cabinets in the kitchen.
In the details, you show unspecified anchors supporting the cabinets to structural backer plates.
In the review process the AHJ, requires you to specify Hilti 12-24 x 1 - 1/4 HWH #5 Self Drilling Screws.
You put them in your detail.
During construction, you (The Architect) and The Inspector of record are requested to make a observation Report of construction when the cabinets have already been hung on the walls.
After construction, while the building is occupied an earthquake occurs, the cabinets fall and kill someone.
It was later found out in court that the anchors specified by the AHJ checker and installed by the contractor were not sufficient enough in supporting the cabinets that killed the kid.

Who is liable?

A) The Architect that drew them in the details.
B) The Contractor that put them in.
C) The Checker that specified the anchors.
D) The Department of State Architects.
E) The Inspector that observed the cabinets going in.
F) The City of Newport Beach
G) The Manufacturer
H) Yo mama
amplaylife

Re: Sample Question for Fun

Postby sogevork » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:06 pm

I imagine everyone including yo mama will get sued, however if I had to pick one (assessing based on what I have read not personal preference) the ultimate blame is on the architect because the architect is in charge of code compliance. Unless somewhere in the codes there is a reference standard that also shows the said screws must be used, then maybe its the manufacturer, its never the plan checker. In either case "written record" of the Plan Checker telling you to use the screws must be kept, (just so you feel better about yourself even though that plan checker must have been placed in their position wisely by AHJ based on ESSA).
sogevork

Postby Coach » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:03 pm

No plan checker in their right mind will tell you what to use.
No architect in their right mind would specify without confirming appropriateness.

The architect might be liable; however, can the owner prove that the cabinets were not overloaded?
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Goblue » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:26 pm

I do not think the plan checker would tell you the specific screws. If she/he has concerns about the screws, she/he would ask you to provide structural calculations from your structural engineer. Just a thought.
Goblue

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM