Essential Services Buildings

Essential Services Buildings

Postby lukukachoo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:03 pm

If a large building (City Hall) that is normally non-essential has a portion dedicated to an essential service (Police Dept.), would the whole structure be designed per the Essential Services Seismic Safety Act? Thanks!
lukukachoo

Re: Essential Services Buildings

Postby mrhavard » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:43 pm

My guess would be yes.
mrhavard

Postby Coach » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:06 pm

I've been told no.

The tricky thing is that you must ensure that the ESB portion will remain operational in an event. So, any non-ESB portion that could impact the ESB must be designed and built per the act.

And it gets particularly tricky when you've got an entity that likes to move things around. Depending on the scope of the project, it may be prudent to male the entire project comply.

Coach
Site Admin

Postby lukukachoo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:36 am

Thanks Coach! I found a few definitions in the California Administrative Code that basically say the same. It says the systems should be kept separate and the essential portion of the building should be protected from damage in case of failure of other portions of the building. I'll post them here...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lukukachoo

Postby sogevork » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:31 pm

Essential services building” means any building, including buildings designed and constructed, for public agencies used, or designed to be used, or any building a portion of which is used or designed to be used, as a fire station, police station, emergency operations center, California Highway Patrol office, sheriff’s office, or emergency communication dispatch center.

So based on the above definition, doesn't this mean that the whole building (or at least the structural system) will be designed per Essential Services Seismic Safety Act? ESB is any building a portion of which is dedicated to an Essential Service

But then the second attachment & highlighted portion of the above post talks about utilities systems and components serving the area (this to me means non-structural elements).

So the way I understand it is the Structural system of the whole building needs to meet ESBSSA, however non-structural services only are concern in non ES portion if they pose danger to ES portion? Coach please advice? Or anyone else who's looked into this.
sogevork

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM