Woo #69 Substantial Completion

Woo #69 Substantial Completion

Postby adventurer4hire » Mon May 15, 2017 5:11 pm

Someone, anyone, please help me with this one... I am just not seeing it.

Question 69. Which of the following does NOT happen at Substantial Completion?
1. Owner release retainage money.
2. Contractor submits Consent of Surety.
3. Notice of Completion filed with local jurisdiction.
4. Owner assumes responsibilities for security, maintenance, heat, utilities, damage to the Work and insurance.

My reasoning:
#1 - Yes that can happen, maybe not all the retainage, but yes it happens.
#2 - Yes, that happens also, usually if #1 happens.
#3 - Maybe, maybe not...
#4 - Definite yes.

The correct answer in the Guide Book is #2. But in my mind, all 4 choices can happen. So I immediately start looking for the one answer that is not as strong as the others, and that is #3. When I read the answer in the back of the book I about had a fit. Being one of the last questions in the guide book I was already a little sore over some of Woo's explanations for previous answers and this one just put me over the edge. It just did not seem right to me, I remember there being a clause in AIA A201 about Consent of Surety at both Substantial Completion and Final Completion and when I went back to look, sure enough, there it was. Section 9.8.5 "Upon such acceptance (referring to the work being complete) and consent of surety. if any, the Owner shall make payment of retainage..."

Is it me? Am I missing something?? If I am seeing this wrong??? I need to know... Please help. Thank you!
adventurer4hire

Re: Woo #69 Substantial Completion

Postby elduderino1234 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:13 pm

Woo's tests are really bad. You aren't missing anything. I took one of his practice tests and can tell you that the real exam is no where near as difficult or confusing.
elduderino1234

Postby hnQ_9999 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:49 am

adventurer4hire wrote:Someone, anyone, please help me with this one... I am just not seeing it.

Question 69. Which of the following does NOT happen at Substantial Completion?
1. Owner release retainage money.
2. Contractor submits Consent of Surety.
4. Owner assumes responsibilities for security, maintenance, heat, utilities, damage to the Work and insurance.

My reasoning:
#1 - Yes that can happen, maybe not all the retainage, but yes it happens.
#2 - Yes, that happens also, usually if #1 happens.
#3 - Maybe, maybe not...
#4 - Definite yes.

You said it: no.4.
When in doubt I look at SubComp as the Changing-Hand-of-Responsibilities,
and use it as a principle to read test writer's mind.
I did exchange emails w/ Mr. Woo, and my feeling was that
he was not very uptight with his answers provided on the guides.
Go with your strong reasoning and cross the fingers.
hnQ_9999

Postby gbalaka » Thu May 18, 2017 12:04 pm

The answer should be #3.

For the purposes of the exam, what you need to know is that the Local Building Department does not care one bit about Substantial Completion. That should be the purpose of this question.
gbalaka

Postby hnQ_9999 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:57 pm

Oops, I missed the word "NOT".
hnQ_9999

Postby gbalaka » Thu May 18, 2017 1:15 pm

hnQ_9999 wrote:Oops, I missed the word "NOT".

Yes, pay attention to that.

They also purposely put in in all caps or bold sometimes. Don't rush though the questions.

Plus you were right...one of the 4 answers did not belong with the other 3
gbalaka

Postby Coach » Thu May 18, 2017 2:08 pm

adventurer4hire wrote:#4 - Definite yes.

It's not definite. See A201.9.8.4.

This would be my answer since it's unrelated to the contract.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby adventurer4hire » Fri May 19, 2017 11:03 am

Thank you everyone for taking time out and letting me know your thoughts. I just took the exam yesterday and all I have to say is: I came, I saw, I kicked it's a**! Well actually it got more than a few good licks in on me, and it left me a little bloody and bruised. But I beat it, and it is finally over! I know Coach does not want us to post test recaps so I won't. Honestly, there is not much I can say that would be different than what anyone else has said previously on this forum. But if you want, send me a message and I will help you as best I can. Other than that, thank you everyone, and a BIG THANK YOU to Coach. Now back to the main subject of this thread...

elduderino1234 wrote:Woo's tests are really bad. You aren't missing anything. I took one of his practice tests and can tell you that the real exam is no where near as difficult or confusing.

I agree with you on the first part. His tests do contain errors and can be tricky in the way that the questions are worded. I understand everyone takes a slightly different version of the same test, but for me I felt like I was taking an exam that Woo wrote, but without the errors. That is just my opinion. Looking back, as frustrating as it was, I benefited from Woo's study materials because he forced me to dig deeper. Near the end I was able to take some comfort in knowing that if I can spot the errors (not only in Woo's materials, but also in Doucette's, and Chen's study guides), then maybe, just maybe, I might be ready to take the exam. Honestly, I think it is shameful that these guides contain so many errors, statements of opinion, grammatical errors, and silly spelling errors. The spelling errors are what gets me. How cun yu hav speling erors with any of today's modarn word prosesors??? In 1988, I typed my first paper in the 5th grade on a Commodore 64, and even it had a spell check!

Deep down I knew the answer to this question was #3. I just couldn't understand how anyone could pick #2. I was just frustrated and needed to vent. I could have picked a handful of other questions to do it with, this just happen to be the one that put me over the edge. Looking back, I can see how someone can miss it. The phrase consent of surety is called out under Final Completion with it's own number (and big and bold if you study the AIA documents with the AIA official comments). Then under Substantial Completion it is just briefly mentioned. Anywhoooo, I hope this helps someone when they are studying for this exam. Good luck to everyone!
adventurer4hire

Postby Coach » Fri May 19, 2017 5:04 pm

adventurer4hire wrote:But if you want, send me a message and I will help you as best I can.

Are you really going to risk your license?
Coach
Site Admin

Postby adventurer4hire » Fri May 19, 2017 10:35 pm

"as best I can" means I won't violate the Practice Act. I am disappointed that you think I am that stupid...
adventurer4hire

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM