Obtaining Planning/ Environmental Approval Process

Obtaining Planning/ Environmental Approval Process

Postby zrh2103 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Obtaining Planning/ Environmental Approval Process question:

In Archibald Woo note, he said, local planner will perform review of the project against General Plan Requirement and zoning and subdivision ordinance as well as environmental requirements under CEQA." which I agreed. Then he went onto to say, "a public hearing before the Architectural or Design Review Board is typically required"

why does a public hearing take place before the Board meeting? does that mean planning dept wants to hear what the general public has to say and will have a separate meeting with the Design Board and applicant afterward to further refine the general public's comments and implement them into the project if the comments are valid?
zrh2103

Re: Obtaining Planning/ Environmental Approval Process

Postby adventurer4hire » Mon May 01, 2017 8:00 am

zrh2103 wrote:why does a public hearing take place before the Board meeting? does that mean planning dept wants to hear what the general public has to say and will have a separate meeting with the Design Board and applicant afterward to further refine the general public's comments and implement them into the project if the comments are valid?

I think you are misunderstanding what Woo is saying. When he writes "a public hearing before the Architectural or Design Review Board ..." he means "a public hearing in front of the Architectural or Design Review Board". As though you are standing in front of them. The public hearing and the DRB meetings usually take place at the same time in an open public forum. I am in Northern CA and for the 8 or 9 jurisdictions that I have worked in that is how it has always been for every DRB/Public Hearing I have been involved with. But that is not to say it is different somewhere else.

When you have a big project, what usually happens when you submit plans to the Planning Department is they review everything and make a determination. Maybe they approve everything, or nothing, or somewhere in between. Then they write a report on their determination (or "findings". That is another term they like to use) and then that report is presented to the DRB and included with all the info that is released to the public. The DRB can make their own decisions and recommendations. They can say "We don't agree with Perry Pecker the Planner." or "We do agree with Little Pecker". Then the Public can have their turn and say whatever they want. Someone will get up and say "This project is going to block my view of the Mountains." or "It's going to increase traffic." Last but not least, at some point, you as the Architect get to stand up "before the board" and make your case. Then at the end of the day, (or week, or month(s).... don't even get me started....), the Planning Department comes to a final decision based on everyone's input. It is kind of like Dancing with the Stars. The judges have their say, the public has theirs, and you try to make a case also. Then the Planning Department comes to a decision and writes another report called something like "The Conditions of Approval". Then you usually have to incorporate those conditions into the final design and plans before proceeding to the next round of more technical submittals (building, fire, etc).
adventurer4hire

Re: Obtaining Planning/ Environmental Approval Process

Postby gbalaka » Mon May 01, 2017 9:00 am

adventurer4hire, great summary and response.
gbalaka

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM