Budget and schedule

Budget and schedule

Postby zrh2103 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:21 pm

In Project Scenario #3, question 5, the question asks " how could you collect additional information in order to organize it in final document for the owner.
David Doucette's answer includes "Develop a preliminary schedule & budget based from your analysis." I can't get a grasp of it.

Budget and schedule are provided by the owner. In B202 doesn't list Budget and Schedule as our deliverables. The closest statement I guess is the "architect shall provide a preliminary opinion of the program with the respect to the owner's stated budge objectives(2.7.5)," but nowhere it states the architect develops a budget and schedule.

I understand, for practical reason, the architect should give the owner a reality check on budget and schedule based on the analysis. But for the sake of AIA document deliverable, developing budget and schedule shouldn't be included.

please let me know what you think.
zrh2103

Re: Budget and schedule

Postby ArchiShark » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:27 pm

B202, 2.1.3 The architect shall prepare and periodically update, a schedule for programming services...
Both Project Schedule and Budget are owner provided at the start of Schematic Design (first phase of basic services) A budget is provided by the Owner at the beginning of the Programming Phase, and scheduling is listed as an additional service. With that being said, I do think that going through the exercise of writing down the schedule of programming services, can help you discover any gaps in your analysis and areas where you may need to expand on. I think the idea of preliminary budget/schedule is not to create it as a deliverable, but rather use it as a tool for discovery. That's my take on it.
ArchiShark

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM