Office of State Fire Marshal

Office of State Fire Marshal

Postby zrh2103 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Is Office of State Fire Marshal only responsible for fire safety for building on state property ? and fire department is responsible for the rest?
zrh2103

Re: Office of State Fire Marshal

Postby Coach » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:37 pm

zrh2103 wrote:Is Office of State Fire Marshal only responsible for fire safety for building on state property ?

All state occupied projects.

and fire department is responsible for the rest?

Yes, unless in jurisdiction of another state agency, like OSHPD.
I'm not sure what the current status is for schools as to whether DSA does it in house or uses SFM or local.

Coach
Site Admin

Postby hnQ_9999 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:53 am

Interesting topic. I wonder if SFM gets to review
projects inside tribal property since fire hazard does not
know property limit.
hnQ_9999

Postby zrh2103 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Coach, I was reading this, found out that State Fire Marshal is the enforce agency for Fire Safety for OSPHD.

https://www.oshpd.ca.gov/fdd/regulation ... 16/2-0.pdf

1.10.2 OSHPD 2. Specific scope of application of the agency responsible for enforcement,
enforcement agency and the specific authority to adopt and enforce such provisions of this code,
unless otherwise stated.

Application – Skilled nursing facilities and intermediate care facilities, including distinct
part skilled nursing and intermediate care services on a general acute care or acute
psychiatric hospital license, provided either are in a separate unit or a freestanding
building. For structural regulations: Single-story, Type V skilled nursing facility and/or
intermediate care facilities utilizing wood or light steel-frame construction.

Enforcing agency – Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD).
The office shall also enforce the Division of the State Architect-Access Compliance
regulations and the regulations of the Office of the State Fire Marshal for the abovestated
facility type.
zrh2103

Postby Coach » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:19 pm

zrh2103 wrote:Coach, I was reading this, found out that State Fire Marshal is the enforce agency for Fire Safety for OSPHD.

You're misreading it.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby zrh2103 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:52 pm

Coach wrote:
zrh2103 wrote:Coach, I was reading this, found out that State Fire Marshal is the enforce agency for Fire Safety for OSPHD.

You're misreading it.

Thanks Coach. you are right.

"For hospital buildings, skilled nursing facilities and intermediate care facilities, the OSHPD
shall also enforce the regulations of the California Building Standards Code as adopted by
the Office of the State Fire Marshal and the Division of the State Architect/Access
Compliance Section, for fire and life safety and accessibility compliance for persons with
disabilities. "
zrh2103

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM