Hierarchy of jurisdictions

Hierarchy of jurisdictions

Postby jomegared » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi all -

Looking for a good resource that talks about which agency has say over another. For example, if building and planning don't agree on something, who rules? I know it is the chief building inspector, but where is this written down? Does fire rule them all? (Like the one ring ;p)
jomegared

Re: Hierarchy of jurisdictions

Postby mulanshu » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:13 pm

Refer to Doucette KS#33 - how to resolve conflicts among codes/agencies. Basically you go with the more stringent one or get a meeting with the agencies/ enforcing agencies that are in conflict to go over the conflict and request a written direction on how to proceed afterwards. And always bring the Owner with you to the meetings. There's no clear hierarchy among the agencies.
mulanshu

Postby jomegared » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:45 pm

Is there ANY other resources on this other than what David Doucette says? I have trouble wrapping my head around this concept. I understand his knowledge statement about getting direction from the departments, but our building department for example always says the same thing; the fire department overrules all. Is there nothing in the CBC about this? I can't find it.
jomegared

Postby Coach » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:07 am

I think there is some general guidance in chapter one of the IBC/CBC, but each jurisdiction will have its own procedure to seal with internal conflicts.

Coach
Site Admin

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM