Passed

Passed

Postby gregvg » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:58 pm

Passed yesterday. Agoura Hills testing center

It's a very difficult exam. Much harder and more stressful than any of the ARE's. As many here have noted, the MC's are just not very forgiving. They seem designed to make it easy to eliminate at least two options, and then leave you pulling your hair out regarding the other two. Time management is an issue as well, I got all the questions answered, had time to revisit all my marked questions at least once on the first portion, revisited about three-quarters of the second portion's marked questions, and I think I just got about got through revisiting all the marked of the general MC portion. I usually had a lot more time to revisit with the ARE's. There is no time allotted for bathroom breaks, so I lost myself about 2 minutes to necessity.

One thing I didn't realize is that the software and keyboards are set up a bit differently than on the ARE's. There is a tutorial at the beginning of the process that explains this. Keys are marked on the keyboard to access set functions, such as 'Mark,' 'End', etc. You can still click a choice and foreword or back with the mouse, but not anything else. Not a huge problem for me, just not as user friendly/ intuitive as the ARE's software interface.

My study method was unusual, and very different from the ARE's. I've mostly been reviewing the flash cards very casually, and over a long period of time, over a year actually. Mostly I just read them at the gym during a 1/2 hour elliptical workout. I found over time that I was memorizing a lot of stuff. Only started studying hardcore these past couple weeks. I would recommend really getting everything in the flash cards down pat. There are a couple times that I was saved by memorizing a very specific number or term from the cards, something that would not at all be in my general reference as a practitioner. Some people here say that the test is general and that it doesn't get into Minutiae, I have to disagree, at times the test is incredibly specific and technical. If you can master the cards (I think either the pass x series or doucette is fine) you should be ok.
AIA docs, and ventura wetlands guide I'd recommend having a lock on as well.

My Study materials:
Doucette CSE study guide
Doucette CSE 3 project scenarios
Doucette OMCES lite
Doucette Flash cards

Woo Study Guide (w/ mock exam)

Pass x Flash cars

@2011 LEED flash cards

+most of the CSE recommended reference materials:
Ventura Wetlands Guide
Coastal Act
AIA Docs
ESBSSA
CSE prep
gregvg

Re: Passed

Postby winifreddy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:07 pm

Congratulations! It is such a HUGE accomplishment. Thanks for the breakdown of your approach. How important was knowing exactly which agencies come into play in various scenarios? Did you memorize the info on the Ventura guide or have a general understanding of it? Thank you. I hope you are partying and enjoying your success today!
winifreddy

Re: Passed

Postby gregvg » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:16 am

Thanks! Yes the agencies/scenarios are very important. I would say that I understood the Ventura guide pretty generally. It wouldn't have hurt to know it better.
gregvg

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM