Water, Water Everywhere

Water, Water Everywhere

Postby mlek77 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:07 pm

Hi there. Try as I might, I'm really struggling to understand the subtle differences in responsibilities/concerns of the various federal, state, regional, and local agencies and acts that deal with water in CA, including wetlands and the coast. Does anyone have any brilliant tips on how to sort these out, or should I just keep hammering away at my notes (I'm using The Whole Enchilada and dkismet's helpful notes). Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!
mlek77

Re: Water, Water Everywhere

Postby icarrillo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:18 am

[url]http://vcrma.org/pdf/bio/FinalPDF.pdf
[/url]
They have lots of good info in there. There are some section diagrams that show jurisdictions for various agencies.
icarrillo

Postby winifreddy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:24 pm

I'm struggling with this too and going to keep moving for now. I could see myself going down a rabbit hole.

Is there any sense of how important it is to know this cold?
winifreddy

Postby dkismet » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:43 pm

Hope this makes sense. It's basically the same information found in my agency notes but resorted by project site conditions. My strategy was to know the big 4 well, to know State Water Resource Control Board Well, and know the agencies found in each scenario as listed in the back of my agency notes. Anyway, hope this helps....

If the Project is near Wetlands or US Waters the following agencies are involved:
1. DFW > Streambed Alteration Agreement (permit required when project alters flow, disposes of waste that could end up in water)
2. State Water Resource Control Board > RWQCB 401 Certificate: (discharge or removal of material, soil, etc, from/into water)
3. Lead Agency > CEQA
4. USACE: CWA 404 (discharge or removal of material, soil, etc, from/into water)

If the Project is Near the Coast:
1. DFW > Streambed alteration agreement (disposes of waste that could end up in water)
2. State Water Resource Control Board > RWQCB 401 Certificate (discharge or removal of material, soil, etc, from/into water)
3. Lead Agency > CEQA
4. USACE: CWA 404 (discharge or removal of material, soil, etc, from/into water)
5. US Coast Guard > prevents/regulates unauthorized dumping
6. California Coastal Commission & Local Coastal Programs > Coastal Permits (required for projects which effect the environment, access, change in water use/intensity)

If the Project is on/near/over Navigable waters:
1. USACE > Section 10 Rivers and Harbors Act (permit required for construction in/over/under navigable waterway)
2.US FWS > Federal Rivers and Harbors Act (permits structures over navigable waterways, or discharge/fill into navigable waterways)

If the project is in a Floor Plain:
1. Flood Control District

If the Project effects US Waters:
1. See Wetlands
+
2. State Water Resource Control Board > NPDES permit (permit required to discharge pollutants from a point source into waters)

MISC Scenarios:
State Water Resource Board and Regional Water Quality Control Board may be involved for the following, as part of their duties to protect water quality and water rights:
1. water discharge permits
2. BMP implementation (SWPPP= if project disturbes more than 1 acre)
3. Site Cleanup
4. Water Right Allocation (above or below surface)
5. regulation of underground water storage tanks, runoff, other potential sources for groundwater
6. Water quality monitoring
7. The State Water Boards handle a lot of water related circumstances, see the whole enchilada for the complete list
dkismet

Postby mlek77 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks for this, dkismet! I've been reviewing your notes, but this reorganized, water-specific version is very helpful.
mlek77

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM