County Flood Control Districts and Depts of Public Works

County Flood Control Districts and Depts of Public Works

Postby mlek77 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:23 pm

Maybe I'm getting to deep into the weeds here, but it looks like both these agencies are involved with various forms of Stormwater management. What's their relationship? Do they work together, or do they handle separate aspects of the same thing?

Thanks!
mlek77

Re: County Flood Control Districts and Depts of Public Works

Postby dkismet » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:45 pm

County flood is mostly concerned about properties in a flood zone. During such review, they want to ensure properties being flooded minimize contribution to storm drain pollution....
example: http://www.floodcontrol.co.riverside.ca.us/stormwater/

State Water Resource Control Board may be more concerned about pollution getting into streams/lakes/rivers, adjacent wetlands, or natural water sensitive areas...including storm drains, since they often flow to natural resources...basically anything that might affect water quality in the US. They have their General Permits (includes SWPPP), RWQCB 401 certificates, as well as site cleanup programs to enforce this.

If the Plans don't have any State Water or County Flood triggers, they are probably being checked by your local government, I'd would imagine the public works department would probably be agency checking for the implementation of BMPs (required by cal-green, NPDES, etc)
example: http://www.slocounty.ca.gov/PW/Flood_Co ... mwater.htm

Notice we state level, regional level, and local level review, depending on the circumstantial jurisdiction. I'd imagine the intention of public works and county flood to be mostly similar, with perhaps county flood taking more drastic measures due to the flood zone.
dkismet

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM