State Fire Marshal Plan Review responsibilities

State Fire Marshal Plan Review responsibilities

Postby dkismet » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:21 pm

When is the state fire marshal responsible for plan check?

from their website: http://osfm.fire.ca.gov/firelifesafety/firelifesafety
plan review of State-Owned and State-Occupied buildings and institutions, as well as detention facilities, high-rises, schools, camps, places of assembly, hospitals, care facilities for children and the aged as well as other types of occupancies under the jurisdiction of the SFM.

So it sounds like they will do plan check for life and safety for the following:
    State owned buildings
    State occupied buildings & institutions
    detention facilities
    high-rises
    schools
    camps
    places of assembly
    hospitals

Seems like a broad list. Can anyone confirm?
dkismet

Re: State Fire Marshal Plan Review responsibilities

Postby icarrillo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:58 am

i imagine reading thru part 1 of tittle 24 ( administrative) would define the responsibilities of the design professional in regards to this agency.
icarrillo

Re: State Fire Marshal Plan Review responsibilities

Postby dkismet » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:03 am

True, however, the building code can be convoluted at times. I'm sure I can figure it out. But time is of the essence since I'm testing in two days and I could cover a lot more ground in review than researching building code for one answer.

a short recap of admin code:

They are the 'enforcement agency' for all state-owned and state-occupied buildings. They may delegate "enforcement" to local fire chief or building official, except for state institutions.

Under "construction documents", it only mentions taking requests for life-safety plan check from local agencies.

It also mentions SFM 'regulates applications' for the buildings posted in my previous post.

As far as my question goes, I'm going to guess they do plan check upon request for the buildings in the original list, or when the building is under state jurisdiction. If anyone knows with more certainty, feel free to chime in.
dkismet

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM