RWQCB responsibility

RWQCB responsibility

Postby arsine5 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:26 pm

From everything I've read, I understood that the State Water Resources Control Board sets standards to 1) protect water quality 2)allocated surface water rights

on the other hand, the Regional Water Quality Control Board develops and enforces water quality objectives and is mainly in charge of water quality monitoring. From what I have understood the RWQCB does not have control over allocation of surface water rights...

Based on a question in the Whole Enchilada I have realized that I have understood the responsibilities of these water agencies incorrectly, or David Doucette's answer is wrong.

here is the question that was asked:
What issues would the Regional Water Quality Control Board be interested in for review of this project? (project is an industrial manufacturing plant with a creek running along closeby)
1)stormwater runoff
2)water rights of adjacent creek
3)wastewater treatment
4)wetlands protection

Answer Options:
a) 1,2,& 4
b)1,2 & 3
c)1 & 2
d)2 & 3

Correct Answer: B

--since I thought that the RWQCB WASN'T in charge of water rights I automatically was confused. The next thing that threw me off is the fact that a "creek" is not considered a wetland.

so can someone please explain to me 1-why the RWQCB may have interest in reviewing for water rights since this is the responsibility of the SWRCB and also 2-why a creek is not a wetland since it has the characteristics of one.
arsine5

Re: RWQCB responsibility

Postby dkismet » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:11 am

I'd agree with you, however If I were to guess based on the process of elimination, I would choose B. Mostly because the primary things that pop into my mind with RWQCB are minimizing pollutant discharge into the waters (via SWPP, NPDES, CWA enforcment, etc) and water quality monitoring. I would not include water rights in the answer at all, if it was a possibility...Though its kinda a grey area since water rights are regulated by the state water resource control board, and the RWQCB fall under them.

However, since we're stuck with it, It comes down to A or B: wastewater vs wetland protection

Wastewater definitely falls under RWQCB jurisdiction and is directly addressed by NPDES and others.

Wetland protection is a little more of a grey area since a 'creek' may be minor enough (in size and environmental impact) to possibly not create a wetland condition. It would just be a little more uncertain to me than wastewater. Definitely not a clean cut question or answer.

This quote from the california wetlands website defines my understanding of wetlands, and why a creek would fall into a grey area:
Wetlands have aquatic and terrestrial characteristics. They form wherever
land gets too wet for upland vegetation and standing water is not too deep for wetland vegetation. They form along the shallow margins of lakes, estuaries, and rivers, and in upland areas with high groundwater or shallow surface water, such as springs, seeps, wet meadows, and ponds.
dkismet

Postby arsine5 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:53 pm

I see what you're saying....I was just thinking that creeks and rivers both have flowing water and rivers are always mentioned as a wetland. Also, since the RWQCB issues the major permits for wetlands that was another thing that made me thing this doesn't make sense. You are right though, this is definitely a grey area and can be tricky. Ok, I will just use process of elimination now, but I just wanted to make sure my understanding of the responsibilities of each agency was correct.

Thanks!
arsine5

Postby zrh2103 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:05 am

On the project scenario, correct me if i am wrong. the description didn't mention the project is in wetland area. I believe that is why wetland protection is not part of the answer.
zrh2103

Postby arsine5 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:02 pm

zrh2103 wrote:On the project scenario, correct me if i am wrong. the description didn't mention the project is in wetland area. I believe that is why wetland protection is not part of the answer.

Will we be told of the project has a designated wetland??? None of the 3 projects in the Doucette package say anything about the stream specifically. the project scenario only says if it's in a coastal zone.
arsine5

Postby zrh2103 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:31 am

arsine5 wrote:
zrh2103 wrote:On the project scenario, correct me if i am wrong. the description didn't mention the project is in wetland area. I believe that is why wetland protection is not part of the answer.

Will we be told of the project has a designated wetland??? None of the 3 projects in the Doucette package say anything about the stream specifically. the project scenario only says if it's in a coastal zone.

Yes, we will be told. if it only says it is in a coastal zone, please don't assume it is a wetland. coastal zone doesn't mean wetland.
zrh2103

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM