Agency Responsibilities for Housing

Agency Responsibilities for Housing

Postby arsine5 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:29 pm

Can someone please clarify this for me or tell me if I am wrong about anything below:

Privately owned/leased/funded Housing & Residential bldgs: reviewed by local bld dept OR the department of housing and Community Development (HCD) (...but does HCD
even review anything)

Public owned/leased/funded by state Housing bldgs: reviewed by DSA

Privately owned/leased/funded Multistory apartment/condo buildings: - reviewed by local bldg dept for the individual apartments
- reviewed by DSA-AC (accessibility) for all public/common areas of the apartment
- reviewed by SFM for fire safety

I also read in the code that in multistory condo buildings that are privately owned the first floor SHOULD HAVE 1 bedroom & bathroom that are accessible. Can someone tell me if I am misunderstanding anything.

Here is a link that expands on what was in the code: http://www.fairhousingfirst.org/faq/mfhousing.html

The Fair Housing Act requires all "covered multifamily dwellings" designed and constructed for first occupancy after March 13, 1991 to be accessible to and usable by people with disabilities. Covered multifamily dwellings are all dwelling units in buildings containing four or more units with one or more elevators, and all ground floor units in buildings containing four or more units, without an elevator. Federal regulations adopted by the Department of Housing and Urban Development at 24 CFR 100.201 define covered multi-family dwellings.

Requirement 1. An accessible building entrance on an accessible route.
Requirement 2. Accessible common and public use areas.
Requirement 3. Usable doors (usable by a person in a wheelchair).
Requirement 4. Accessible route into and through the dwelling unit.
Requirement 5. Light switches, electrical outlets, thermostats and other environmental controls in accessible locations.
Requirement 6. Reinforced walls in bathrooms for later installation of grab bars.
Requirement 7. Usable kitchens and bathrooms.
arsine5

Re: Agency Responsibilities for Housing

Postby dkismet » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:42 pm

arsine5 wrote:Can someone please clarify this for me or tell me if I am wrong about anything below:

Privately owned/leased/funded Housing & Residential bldgs: reviewed by local bld dept OR the department of housing and Community Development (HCD) (...but does HCD
even review anything)
I havn't heard of HCD doing plan checks

for accessibility only, i believe
Privately owned/leased/funded Multistory apartment/condo buildings: - reviewed by local bldg dept for the individual apartments
- reviewed by DSA-AC (accessibility) for all public/common areas of the apartment

does DSA have anything to do with this? SFM only reviews for fire/life-safety on "state occupied buildings" (institutional/educational/or similar)

I also read in the code that in multistory condo buildings that are privately owned the first floor SHOULD HAVE 1 bedroom & bathroom that are accessible. Can someone tell me if I am misunderstanding anything.

Here is a link that expands on what was in the code: http://www.fairhousingfirst.org/faq/mfhousing.html

The Fair Housing Act requires all "covered multifamily dwellings" designed and constructed for first occupancy after March 13, 1991 to be accessible to and usable by people with disabilities. Covered multifamily dwellings are all dwelling units in buildings containing four or more units with one or more elevators, and all ground floor units in buildings containing four or more units, without an elevator. Federal regulations adopted by the Department of Housing and Urban Development at 24 CFR 100.201 define covered multi-family dwellings.

Requirement 5. Light switches, electrical outlets, thermostats and other environmental controls in accessible locations.
Requirement 6. Reinforced walls in bathrooms for later installation of grab bars.

Do you think Fair Housing Act will be on the exam? I'm not sure which knowledge statement that would fall under.
dkismet

Postby mhucker28 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:38 pm

arsine5 wrote:Can someone please clarify this for me or tell me if I am wrong about anything below:

even review anything)

- reviewed by DSA-AC (accessibility) for all public/common areas of the apartment If the housing is privately owned, DSA doesn't have anything to do with it. If it is a state leased CA property, then DSA would review for Accessibility http://www.dgs.ca.gov/dsa/Programs/prog ... juris.aspx

I also read in the code that in multistory condo buildings that are privately owned the first floor SHOULD HAVE 1 bedroom & bathroom that are accessible. Can someone tell me if I am misunderstanding anything. Accessibilily requirements per the CBC Ch. 10A apply regardless of whether it's private or not

mhucker28

Postby moonstruck66 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:44 pm

My mom used to work for a municipal Housing Department in the Bay. I don't remember if they actually reviewed drawings but I know they did inspections during construction IF they had provided funding in some way to these privately owned projects. Since these funds were part of some sort of housing assistance program (either local, state, or federal), there was an application process and qualifications on how the funds could be used. The developer would apply for these additional public funds and if selected,would provide the required number of below market, transitional, or other special use units or other features. So even though the project was privately owned and mostly privately funded, a small portion was publicly funded, and the Housing Dept. was responsible for verifying that the qualifiers on the public funds were actually executed. The actual plan check for code compliance was left to the building department.
moonstruck66

Postby hnQ_9999 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:35 am

arsine5 wrote:...
Privately owned/leased/funded Multistory apartment/condo buildings:
- reviewed by local bldg dept for the individual apartment
- reviewed by DSA-AC (accessibility) for all public/common areas of the apartment. [[[ I think local AHJ ]]]
- reviewed by SFM for fire safety...[[[ I think local FD has been delegated to review this bd type. ]]]
hnQ_9999

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM