Hospital Accessibility Review?

Hospital Accessibility Review?

Postby dkismet » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:13 am

Doucette's audio program states hospital accessibility is reviewed by DSA-AC. However, his study guide has removed this statement.

It appears DSA-AC is only involved in hospital accessibility review IF the hospital is state owned or state funded.
Can anyone confirm?

Do private or non-state funded hospitals even exist?
dkismet

Re: Hospital Accessibility Review?

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:24 am

dkismet wrote:Doucette's audio program states hospital accessibility is reviewed by DSA-AC. However, his study guide has removed this statement.

It appears DSA-AC is only involved in hospital accessibility review IF the hospital is state owned or state funded.
Can anyone confirm?

Do private or non-state funded hospitals even exist? Ever heard of Healthcare Corporation of America (HCA), Community Health Systems (CHS), etc?
Sparky83

Postby dkismet » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:05 am

Sparky83 wrote:Ever heard of Healthcare Corporation of America (HCA), Community Health Systems (CHS), etc?

I have not, until now. Thank you.
Though I wonder if they receive any public funds or grants, which might subject them to DSA-AC review or if they are completely privately funded and thus do not have to comply to DSA-AC review requirements.

I have no experience with the healthcare industry except for maybe a couple visits to the ER, so bare with me
dkismet

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:43 pm

dkismet wrote:
Sparky83 wrote:Ever heard of Healthcare Corporation of America (HCA), Community Health Systems (CHS), etc?

I have not, until now. Thank you.
Though I wonder if they receive any public funds or grants, which might subject them to DSA-AC review or if they are completely privately funded and thus do not have to comply to DSA-AC review requirements.

I have no experience with the healthcare industry except for maybe a couple visits to the ER, so bare with me

All medical facilities receive federal reimbursement funds. Most hospitals fall under Joint Commission guidelines as well, but CA may have something comparable instead.
Sparky83

Postby Coach » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:10 pm

OSHPD reviews all hospitals.
First time I did a hospital, OSHPD farmed out portions of review to SFM and DSA. Last time I checked, it was all in house.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby standard » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:00 pm

I think I remember hearing DD saying that. It's totally wrong. Just remember hospitals equal OSHPD and you can't go wrong. Detention centers too. (It's clinics that get a bit dicey). DSA has nothing to do with hospitals.
standard

Postby sddjd » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:03 pm

Detention centers is too broad- "correctional treatment centers" fall under OSHPD's jurisdiction. The local hoosegow isn't their concern.
sddjd

Postby standard » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:56 pm

sddjd wrote:Detention centers is too broad- "correctional treatment centers" fall under OSHPD's jurisdiction. The local hoosegow isn't their concern.

Thanks for the correction.
standard

Postby arsine5 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:10 pm

Ok, just to clarify because I also remember hearing David Doucette say this.

OSHPD is the only agency to review anything related to hospitals. The DSA is in no way involved with accessibility plan check whether the hospital is state owned or privately owned--Accessibility is ONLY reviewed by OSHPD for hospitals.

Also, OSHPD is also in charge of reviewing correctional treatment centers which are located inside correctional facilities.

Correct??

on the DSA website it does say this though: DSA has jurisdiction over access compliance requirements for all buildings in California (including schools) that are publicly-funded in whole or in part by the use of state funds per Government Code Section 4450 through 4461.
http://www.dgs.ca.gov/dsa/Programs/prog ... juris.aspx

so if the hospital is in whole or in part funded by state funds it will still not be under the jurisdiction of DSA-AC for accessibility is what I'm understanding. Does the DSA waive their rights or something??
arsine5

Postby dkismet » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:52 pm

arsine5 wrote:Ok, just to clarify because I also remember hearing David Doucette say this.
so if the hospital is in whole or in part funded by state funds it will still not be under the jurisdiction of DSA-AC for accessibility is what I'm understanding. Does the DSA waive their rights or something??

I guess that is where I am a little bit confused as well. But if people with hospital experience say no DSA-AC for hospitals, i'll save the energy and take their word for it. Thanks all
dkismet

Postby arsine5 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:36 pm

dkismet wrote:
arsine5 wrote:Ok, just to clarify because I also remember hearing David Doucette say this.

I guess that is where I am a little bit confused as well. But if people with hospital experience say no DSA-AC for hospitals, i'll save the energy and take their word for it. Thanks all

found it!!! in the building code...see page 14 under OSHPD: Enforcing agency......OSHPD enforces DSA-AC regulations and SFM regulations

http://codes.iccsafe.org/app/book/conte ... ration.pdf

now we can rest assured that what others are saying are correct...sorry just had to see for myself.
arsine5

Postby dkismet » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:38 pm

excellent! thank you
dkismet

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM