Final Approval Submission.

Final Approval Submission.

Postby zrh2103 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:21 am

DSA reviews drawings and specs for its buildings. does local building department review drawings and specs local library? or just drawings will do?
zrh2103

Re: Final Approval Submission.

Postby dkismet » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:59 am

Specifications are essential to any plan check, by DSA or local gov't, as they verbally define a significant portion of the project.
dkismet

Postby standard » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:22 pm

That's a good question. Based on my experience local juridictions arent that interested in specs. But they may be looking for certain information or specs but they seem to rather want to see "sheet specs.". DSA is really into the specs. Since pretty much any DSA project will be providing specs they review all the specs but only care about structural/life-safety/access related specs.(For K-12 projects at least) But they stamp the cover sheet of the spec book. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure OSHPD stamps the spec book too.

Note - keep in mind when I say "spec book" that's just an informal term often used. The formal/correct term is "project manual".
standard

Postby arsine5 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:24 pm

Thank you for pointing this out!!..it's something I hadn't asked myself yet so very informal.

I have another question in regards to libraries. I just wanted to make sure I'm thinking correctly. Please clarify if I'm wrong.

If a library is state sponsored/owned/leased, then this library will go through plan check with the Division of the State Architect (DSA) and CEQA compliance through DSA also.
If a library is privately sponsored/owned/leased, then this library will go through plan check with a Local Planning Agency and CEQA compliance handled with Local Agency also.

same with an Essential Services Building (ESB):

If an ESB is state sponsored/owned/leased, then this ESB will go through plan check with the Division of the State Architect (DSA) and CEQA compliance through DSA also.
If an ESB is privately sponsored/owned/leased, then this ESB will go through plan check with a Local Planning Agency and CEQA compliance handled with Local Agency also.
arsine5

Postby dkismet » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:13 pm

I'd imagine you could leave out specs, or anything other detailed work, as long as it didn't contain critical information essential to the plan check. I've definitely had plan checkers make comments on my specs, since they are related to CBC requirements, so they are reading them.

arsine5 wrote:Thank you for pointing this out!!..it's something I hadn't asked myself yet so very informal.

I have another question in regards to libraries. I just wanted to make sure I'm thinking correctly. Please clarify if I'm wrong.

If a library is state sponsored/owned/leased, then this library will go through plan check with the Division of the State Architect (DSA) and CEQA compliance through DSA also.
If a library is privately sponsored/owned/leased, then this library will go through plan check with a Local Planning Agency and CEQA compliance handled with Local Agency also.

same with an Essential Services Building (ESB):

If an ESB is state sponsored/owned/leased, then this ESB will go through plan check with the Division of the State Architect (DSA) and CEQA compliance through DSA also.
If an ESB is privately sponsored/owned/leased, then this ESB will go through plan check with a Local Planning Agency and CEQA compliance handled with Local Agency also.

As Far as I know (from studying, not experience) DSA-AC will do the library plan check for accessibility only. They only do full plan check (structural, etc) if the building is a public school or state ESB.

State Clearinghouse within Governor's Office of Planning and Research, will handle the state level coordination for CEQA. I don't believe DSA is involved in CEQA directly
dkismet

Postby arsine5 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:21 pm

yes you're right. State clearinghouse and OPR handle CEQA compliance for state owned/leased/funded buildings... this didn't click again til you corrected me. Thanks so much!

for libraries apparently the local jurisdiction is the enforcement agency for plan check and inspection. The code doesn't say anything about DSA-AC being in charge of accessibility compliance for libraries though. Also, in order for libraries to receive state funding (per the Bond Act) however the State Librarian must review and approve for the following: drawings (prelim and schematic), specs, budget, program.

and just an fyi since I read it and it may be useful: bookstacks cannot be moved if the library was funded by the bond act until they are reviewed and approved by the State Librarian...don't know if this will come up but good to know cause David says one of the project scenarios might be a library.

info from here:
http://codes.iccsafe.org/app/book/conte ... ibrary.pdf
arsine5

Postby dkismet » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:57 pm

arsine5 wrote:The code doesn't say anything about DSA-AC being in charge of accessibility compliance for libraries though.

I'm just going off of the DSA-AC Jurisdiction: http://www.dgs.ca.gov/dsa/Programs/prog ... juris.aspx

arsine5 wrote: Also, in order for libraries to receive state funding (per the Bond Act) however the State Librarian must review and approve for the following: drawings (prelim and schematic), specs, budget, program.

Good to know that the State Librarian is involved in reviewing the early stages of plans (similar to Planning Dept. entitlements) in order to approve state funding. I'd imagine it's for the purpose of making sure the money is going to proper use (the building is aligned with the vision/standard of the State Librarian) rather than for code compliance. Sounds like local government and possibly DSA-AC would be responsible for approving plans for code compliance.

Thanks for the info arsine. It's nice to bounce ideas around with someone
dkismet

Postby arsine5 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:12 pm

you're correct again! per the bond act, to get funding they must show that they are compliant with DSA-AC

see pg 242
http://codes.iccsafe.org/app/book/conte ... ibrary.pdf

thanks!!
arsine5

Postby hnQ_9999 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:22 am

Interesting question.
I wonder if State Librarian does plan-check Local Library projects.
I bet not, but just wanna know for sure.
hnQ_9999

Postby adventurer4hire » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:05 am

hnQ_9999 wrote:Interesting question.
I wonder if State Librarian does plan-check Local Library projects.
I bet not, but just wanna know for sure.

No. Unless the local library is being built with funds from the 2000 Library Bond Act. So the key here is if on the exam the project scenario is a library that is funded with Bond Money, then per the 2016 Administrative Code (pages 247-255), the State Librarian needs to approve, as well as DSA-AC.
adventurer4hire

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM