Pass in NYC

Pass in NYC

Postby radoni399 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:39 am

I just wanted to give a quick recap as I found these posts very helpful on my prep strategy for the exam.

Experience: 6yrs small arch firm 2+ yrs construction firm

Study material:

The whole enchilada + Woo's study guide and the exams for both. I only used David's study guide and the exam prep out of the whole enchilada so if your on a budget I really think you don't need the rest of the stuff. Woo's study guide was good but the Exams were most helpful ( yes they aren't written very well and sometimes his answers really pissed me off but the questions challenge you in a way that I found very beneficial for the exam prep) David's questions are way too easy but good practice.

Exam:

I thought it was tougher then the ARE exams at least portions of it. My advice, know everyone's responsibilities very well, don't get hung up on studying too much in detail just know the concepts and you'll be fine.

Testing center in Queens:

Don't test here in summer! They made us sign a waiver that the conditions were very hot before we took the test ( it got above 95 in there during the test, miserable!) they claimed they were working on it...good luck to you all!
radoni399

Re: Pass in NYC

Postby dkismet » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:41 pm

This is a very concise post. Thank you. Was there anything you wish you used to supplement WE and Woo or did you feel that these resources prep'd you adequately, prior to finding out your results? also did you find you needed more time studying for this exam than you did with the ARE's?

Thanks for the post and Congrats!
dkismet

Postby radoni399 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:10 am

Thanks! I think the material listed above did a good job at covering all California specific items, as far as general practice i did have to rely quite a bit on my experience for analyzing situations on responsibilities between all parties involved. I studied a bit more then for the ARE because i took the last ARE 2 years ago but i don't think i needed to. Good luck
radoni399

Postby zrh2103 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:56 am

Do they have a locker Testing center in Queens? I dont have a car.

I dont know where to put my metro card, phone and wallet. any insight
zrh2103

Postby dkismet » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:53 pm

Not sure if radoni is still browsing the forums, but I'd say call ahead and find out. Given that New Yorkers generally don't have cars, I'd imagine they would accommodate the culture.
dkismet

Postby zrh2103 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks dkismet, you are such a good sport answering members' concerns in a clear and accurate way.

I have called PSI, but they gave me this general guideline read through of what is in the booklet. Not so helpful, I even visited the testing exam center a couple days ago to see if they have a phone number that i can call for this specific location. No luck. It just has the general inquiry PSI number on the door.

If you have anywhere that i can find specific location number, let me know.

Thank you
zrh2103

dkismet wrote:Not sure if radoni is still browsing the forums, but I'd say call ahead and find out. Given that New Yorkers generally don't have cars, I'd imagine they would accommodate the culture.
zrh2103

Postby dkismet » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:03 pm

I checked Yelp and other sites looking for a review. Strangely I couldn't find any for this location. Though, almost all other locations have lockers so I'd imagine they would. If you're really concerned just minimize your accessories. ID, Credit card, metro card, and house key. Worst case you could hide it in the bathroom or something LOL. Or turn it into the lost and found and claim it afterward, haha. I mean, I can't imagine they wouldn't accommodate the placement of keys (even if you had a car).

This forum accounts for a lot of my socialization at the moment (sadly), and it helps me stay focused. So until the CSE is over, I'll be here helping, brainstorming, and learning.

Cheers
dkismet

Postby radoni399 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:34 pm

Yes they do have lockers! :-)
radoni399

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM