DSA vs. Building & Safety

DSA vs. Building & Safety

Postby simonstorey » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Does anyone know how the DSA works with the building dept on a project under it's (the DSA) jurisdiction?

Does the DSA conduct 100% of the plan check (conformance with Title 24) or is there overlap between what
DSA is reviewing what the local building dept is reviewing. Or is the local building dept not even involved
in plan review?

It seems like DSA is responsible for so much there wouldn't be anything left for the local building dept to do.
Thanks
simonstorey

Re: DSA vs. Building & Safety

Postby prex » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:03 pm

i'd like to know the answer to this one as well
prex

Postby pwlcapricorn1 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:45 pm

When I've worked with DSA in the past,they were the lead agency that conducted the general plan check. That being said, they were only one part of the process. We also had to work with the SFM and were required to get an approval letter from the local fire authorities in order to submit for review. Another part of working with DSA was to submit fire sprinkler and alarm plans at the same time. No deferral option. Typically I've seen this option with cities and counties.
pwlcapricorn1

Postby prex » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:35 pm

Did you have to submit directly to the DSA or did you submit to the city, who then submitted your plans to the DSA for you?
prex

Postby pwlcapricorn1 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:34 pm

The city wasn't involved in the submittal process. Just DSA and fire.
pwlcapricorn1

Postby simonstorey » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:29 pm

pwlcapricorn1 wrote:The city wasn't involved in the submittal process. Just DSA and fire.

Cool. Thanks for clarifying!
simonstorey

Postby pwlcapricorn1 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:30 pm

Just to clarify. When your client is a school district (county or city), you still start the process of getting buy-off approval from them. There will still be public review and comment, user workshops etc. Once you get the approval from the county / city, add in a few pre-design meetings with the DSA and FSM you ultimately submit for permit with them (DSA / SFM).
pwlcapricorn1

Postby hnQ_9999 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:57 pm

pwlcapricorn1 wrote:Just to clarify. When your client is a school district (county or city), you still start the process of getting buy-off approval from them. There will still be public review and comment, user workshops etc. Once you get the approval from the county / city, add in a few pre-design meetings with the DSA and FSM you ultimately submit for permit with them (DSA / SFM).

Let me understand this clearly:
a) The part public review/comments/user workshop is solely for the
public relation front of the project, as in community/citizen grp concerns, etc
since this involves public bonds, funds, etc ?
b) The following "get the approval from cnty/city" is merely coordination between
community and local planning and design team, but NO AUTHORIZATION nor approval
given/occurs (because local planning has no jurisdiction for K14) ?
c) Then you go to DSA(-SS/AC) for formal permitting. The smaller details of SS/AC/FireLife/PublicWrk are
sub-contents w/i this step ? Either DSA circulates the set or you do it yourself won't be asked in CSE, I bet.
d) And this is only the normal T24 process for K14 ?
e) The CEQA process wd start from step (B) if env.impact is in question, and school district wd normally be
the Lead Acy from there ?

Pls tell me if any of the above is wrong. I think this is important for me to understand
the non-CEQA side of K14 projects.
hnQ_9999

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM