SWPPS requirement -current calgreen

SWPPS requirement -current calgreen

Postby ampdesign » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:05 pm

To me it looks like SWPPS is required on any project less than an acre per the current Calgreen code below...both residential and non-residential. Am I reading this incorrectly or missing something?

Per Calgreen 2013 residential

Section 4.106 Site Development
4.106.2 Storm water drainage and retention during construction.
Projects which disturb less than one acre of soil and are not part of a larger common plan of development which in total disturbs one acre or more, shall manage storm water drainage during construction. In order to manage storm water drainage during construction, one or more of the following measures shall be implemented to prevent flooding of adjacent
property, prevent erosion and retain soil runoff on the site.....

July 2015 Calgreen supplement

Non-residential requirement:

SECTION 5.106
SITE DEVELOPMENT
5.106.1 Storm water pollution prevention. Newly constructed projects and additions which disturb less than one acre of land shall prevent the pollution of storm water runoff from
the construction activities through one or more of the following measures...
ampdesign

Re: SWPPS requirement -current calgreen

Postby Corkscrewed » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:40 am

You are correct. But just to clarify (cuz I missed the nuance initially when I was studying):

There is a difference between what CALGreen calls the SWPP (2 P's) and what the SWRCB requires, which is a SWPPP (3 P's).

CALGreen requires stormwater pollution prevention. Period. Lower case. Generic measures. These can be in the form of Best Management Practices or following guidelines of local jurisdiction when a project is under 1 acre.

However, when it is 1 acre or greater, a Stormwater Pollution Prevention PLAN is required. This is based on SWRCB requirements.

The confusion is that CALGreen decided to title this generic term SWPP. It would be the same thing if they'd called it something like "stormwater treatment measures" or such (which they do in the text, but I recall the heading saying SWPP).
Corkscrewed

Postby ampdesign » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:58 am

I agree this is a convoluted one because of Calgreen and SWRCB requirements. SWRCB as a division of CalEPA follows the Clean Water Act NPDES rules.

NPEDS is a national program under the USEPA. Different states have authority to administer NPDES. California is authorized so the Cal EPA via State Water Resources Control Board administers the NPDES CGP and the SWPPS as part of the Clean Water Act as I understand it.

The NPDES Program is a federal program which has been delegated to the State of California for implementation through the State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) and the nine Regional Water Quality Control Boards (Regional Water Boards), collectively Water Boards. In California, NPDES permits are also referred to as waste discharge requirements (WDRs) that regulate discharges to waters of the United States.
http://www.swrcb.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/npdes/

That said; Calgreen chapter 5 states:

5.106.1 Storm water pollution prevention plan. For newly
constructed projects of less than one acre, develop a Storm
Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) that has been
designed, specific to its site, conforming to the State Storm
water NPDES Construction Permit or local ordinance, whichever
is stricter, as is required for projects one acre or more. The
plan should cover prevention of soil loss by stormwater run-off
and/or wind erosion, of sedimentation, and/or of dust/particulate
matter air pollution.
Note: Assistance with the permit may be obtained from the
California StateWater Resources Control Board (SWRCB)
at: http://www.swrcb.ca.gov/stormwtr/, from a Regional
Water Quality

Bottom line---we are probably going to be more concerned with the non-residential Calgreen requirements for this exam so: For projects under 1 acre we need a SWPP. For projects over 1 acre we need a Construction General Permit that complies with NPDES or local ordinance whichever is more restrictive.

Corkscrewed wrote:You are correct. But just to clarify (cuz I missed the nuance initially when I was studying):

There is a difference between what CALGreen calls the SWPP (2 P's) and what the SWRCB requires, which is a SWPPP (3 P's).

CALGreen requires stormwater pollution prevention. Period. Lower case. Generic measures. These can be in the form of Best Management Practices or following guidelines of local jurisdiction when a project is under 1 acre.

However, when it is 1 acre or greater, a Stormwater Pollution Prevention PLAN is required. This is based on SWRCB requirements.

The confusion is that CALGreen decided to title this generic term SWPP. It would be the same thing if they'd called it something like "stormwater treatment measures" or such (which they do in the text, but I recall the heading saying SWPP).
ampdesign

Postby hnQ_9999 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:41 am

Corkscrewed wrote:You are correct. But just to clarify (cuz I missed the nuance initially when I was studying):

This is interesting.
I don't think there are 3Ps and 2Ps in these two scenarios.
They are just simply below or above 1 acre threshold.
The designer (civil engineer mostly) in both cases will have
to submit some forms of diagrams, plans, documents...
and we call them "plans", as in "how do we plan to do that".

My concern are whether <1acre "plans" will go to Public Work
and >1acre "plans" will go to Water District for review
(disturbing more than 1arce is surely an env. issue already) ?
Seems to me Water Board won't do plancheck, and CGC
compliance goes to local AHJ.

Anyone ?
hnQ_9999

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM