liability

liability

Postby poirier1210 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:00 pm

is an Arch consultants error covered under the archs General Liability Ins OR his Professional Liability Ins?
poirier1210

Re: liability

Postby Coach » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:19 am

Design errors and omissions is professional liability.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Corkscrewed » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:23 pm

Simplified Explanation:
Professional Liability = mistake on drawings
General Liability = accident happened (except auto-related, which is covered by auto insurance)
Corkscrewed

Postby JackuPG » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:36 pm

C401.2.8
Consultants shall maintain General Liability, Automobile Liability, Professional liability and Workers Comp for the duration of the project
JackuPG

Postby Ridhs68 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:09 am

Does that mean even though CA doesn't require an Architect to carry Professional or General liability (preferred but not mandatory) per AIA the consultant has to?
Ridhs68

Postby Coach » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:01 pm

Ridhs68 wrote:Does that mean even though CA doesn't require an Architect to carry Professional or General liability (preferred but not mandatory) per AIA the consultant has to?

No.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby hnQ_9999 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:37 pm

Sorry for bring up the old post.
I would like to be confirmed that if an architect enters a public project,
chances are they had their own contract pre-written and tailored, then both
architect and engineer only need 2 insurance types per CA codes.
If architect enters a contract using AIA201, then both architect and
engineer (who uses C141) would need 4 ?
This one is tricky and easy to get caught by CSE-normally absent of
well status quo-questions (=sloppy, IMHO).
hnQ_9999

Postby adventurer4hire » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:03 pm

hnQ_9999 wrote:I would like to be confirmed that if an architect enters a public project, chances are they had their own contract pre-written and tailored, then both
architect and engineer only need 2 insurance types per CA codes.
Not necessarily. Even though it is a public contract, the contract still may require the Architect to carry more insurance than the minimum in CA. In the end, I would assume the minimum insurance is required, unless the contract between A & O requires more insurance.

hnQ_9999 wrote:If architect enters a contract using AIA201, then both architect and engineer (who uses C141) would need 4 ?
Yes. Assuming the A & C are using the C401. You may want to study the C401, C141 is old.

hnQ_9999 wrote:This one is tricky and easy to get caught by CSE-normally absent of well status quo-questions (=sloppy, IMHO).
If I understand you correctly you are asking what to do if the CSE question is vague. Here is what I would do: If the question on the exam does not make any mention of what contract the A & O are using, then I would assume the Arch is only required to have the minimum Automotive and Worker's Comp. insurance. Now... if the question is REALLY vague and doesn't even mention if you have employees or not, and if one of the answers is simply "a. Automotive", (or it is a "select all that apply" type question) then you may have to pick just "a." I hope to heck this exam is not that bad. Even the ARE was not that bad. At that point I would hope the question would give some clue, like "You are an Architect designing a new football stadium...." Then I think you can safely assume that the Architect will have a team of employees working for him/her. Thus both Auto and Workers Comp. is required. I have not taken the exam yet and you are starting to worry me!

hnQ_9999 wrote:Sorry for bring up the old post.
Never apologize. Never show weakness. J/K Good luck on exam day!
adventurer4hire

Postby hnQ_9999 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:41 am

hnQ_9999 wrote:This one is tricky and easy to get caught by CSE-normally absent of well status quo-questions (=sloppy, IMHO).

...I hope to heck this exam is not that bad. Even the ARE was not that bad. At that point I would hope the question would give some clue, like "You are an Architect designing a new football stadium...." Then I think you can safely assume that the Architect will have a team of employees working for him/her. Thus both Auto and Workers Comp. is required. I have not taken the exam yet and you are starting to worry me!

Thanks for yr response, specially the stadium example. Never thought of that.
Didn't mean to worry anyone. I think you are well equipped for CSE poor questionnaires, as shown.
The ARE questions, by the way, are getting much better through times (I am a cross versions-tester).
They said "per A201" everytime even we knew AIA doc is the only
one being used. They did listen, and listen well, and made changes. Even the text in vertical
block makes it easier for reader, and there are nothing else, the
non-sense stuff on the screen to distract you from the questions. I believe their text size is
about size 14 on screen. You can even think over the words (that's what I did). They made big
profit and they know how to take care of business. If ARE has scenario plans printed in paper,
I do believe they will have the contents printed at readable text size 10 (required by law),
not 4 or 5. They give you 15 minutes break between unrelated test contents.
They tried to help bring out the best of you, not squeeze you into illogical constraints and
beat you to fail. I felt, lately, being tested by brilliant test writers
who are well traveled, experienced and know the trade (not some plumber who asks
"what are the stack vent/vent stack ?". I want to fail the test by smart, honest legal questions
or real life conditions, not by slick/twisted grammar or the jargon which I can Google in
30 seconds in real life).
Enough said about ARE...
hnQ_9999

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM