Basic or Additional service?

Basic or Additional service?

Postby brantfetter » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:44 pm

Perhaps someone can make sense of this:
Woo Mock exam question, (including spelling and grammar errors):
“The City hired a security consultant separately to design a security system for the project. During Design Development, the City request that you coordinate with the security consultant and provide structural design for some ceiling mounted components of the system, what do you do?
1. Ask your structural engineer to provide the required design work for the components of the system.
2. Tell the City that this is additional services and send them a proposal for this work.
3. Tell the City to have the security consultant hire their own structural engineer to design the support.
4. Tell the City you cannot design the support as you are not contractual required to coordinate the work of any of the City’s consultants.”

My instinct is to answer #1, but considering the exact wording and the goals of the CSE, I would expect the correct answer to be 2 because coordination of work is not the same thing as engineering assistance. However, Woo thinks the answer is 1. In practice, to protect myself I would provide the engineering anyway, but this is not about standard practice, it’s about the AIA contracts.
I think there is a basic problem with this question in that it lumps engineering in with coordination. Maybe I’m making a false distinction or just have had a set of experiences that lead me astray. So can anyone tell me why ‘coordination’ includes providing engineering services because the consultant doesn’t want to pay an engineer?
brantfetter

Re: Basic or Additional service?

Postby Coach » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:37 pm

Coach
Site Admin

Postby brantfetter » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:37 pm

That's hilarious, I've come full circle on a question I helped on. I initially ignored the originating question because it came from woo, and it happened to come up in another conversation with someone else. Please delete this thread if you wish. The final answer is: It's a messed up question.
brantfetter

Postby adventurer4hire » Mon May 08, 2017 8:51 am

I know this is an old post but I thought I would re-hash it anyway for anyone currently studying for the exam. I just want to add that in the latest version of Woo's study materials the answer is now #2.
adventurer4hire

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM