Life Safety?

Life Safety?

Postby AREND » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:25 pm

What does the term "Life-Safety" refer to when used in a question (i.e. Which of the following does not affect life-safety in an office building...?).

My understanding was life-safety refers to NFPA 101 (requirements for egress, features of fire protection, sprinkler systems, alarms, emergency lighting, smoke barriers, and special hazard protection).

Chen's book says ventilation is part of life-safety. I'd like to know if he's using the term loosely or if this is actually in the NFPA? What does the term refer to if it appears in a question (NFPA 101 or a Loose term meaning what is covered under CBC for Health Safety and Welfare)

Thanks for your input.
AREND

Re: Life Safety?

Postby clutjen » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:50 am

Ventilation is covered in a variety of NFPA codes. The web page below provides a good overview of systems included in Life-Safety:

http://www.ashe.org/advocacy/organizati ... F-pDckxhTo
clutjen

Postby AREND » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:49 pm

clutjen wrote:Ventilation is covered in a variety of NFPA codes. The web page below provides a good overview of systems included in Life-Safety:

http://www.ashe.org/advocacy/organizati ... F-pDckxhTo

Thanks for the great link. I should've clarified that Chen's book provides "adequate ventilation" as one of the correct answers. All items in NFPA seem to be related to restricting the spread of smoke and fire in ventilation systems and not ventilation as it pertains to interior environment under chapter 12 of CBC (section 1203: ventilation) .

I think his question is vaguely worded and I hope the exam is more clear than this?
AREND

Postby hnQ_9999 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:40 pm

Interesting topic.
However I think for CSE, refer to CBC or CFC is more appropriate than NFPA.
Curiously enough, in CBC and CFC there are no def. of Life safety terms.
I posted here parts of CBC and CFC that has none of such def.
ScreenShot084.jpg

ScreenShot086.jpg

I guess is that knowing the different between "Life Safety" and "public welfare"
is enough to answer related questions in CSE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hnQ_9999

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM