Change Order

Change Order

Postby BITINGTHEDUST » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:11 am

I found the following question in my note, but I cannot find the answer... Could anybody help me?

"A Change Order requires that the owner, the architect, and the contractor agree on which of the following?
A change to the work, the contract sum, and the contract time

I think change order is for everything related to time and cost, and "a change to the work" is NOT the answer?
BITINGTHEDUST

Re: Change Order

Postby usa4 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:43 am

A Change order might not include a change in work but always includes either a change in time or $.
Imagine a scenario where the arch specified oak floors and the contractor can not find oak floors.
The contractor or arch or owner might suggest a change order to substitute for pine for oak.
Same work but difference in cost!
usa4

Postby BITINGTHEDUST » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Thank you for the clarification!
As you mentioned, maybe it would be the key to imagine the situation, to fully understand the meaning of the contracts..
BITINGTHEDUST

Postby Coach » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:30 pm

usa4 wrote:A Change order might not include a change in work but always includes either a change in time or $.
Imagine a scenario where the arch specified oak floors and the contractor can not find oak floors.
The contractor or arch or owner might suggest a change order to substitute for pine for oak.
Same work but difference in cost!

That is a change in the work.

Something that doesn't involve a change in work would be weather delay, material delivery delay, strikes, etc.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM