Study Materials

Study Materials

Postby beachboy » Thu May 22, 2014 12:33 am

Are there any suggested study materials other than David's Enchilada?
beachboy

Re: Study Materials

Postby Coach » Thu May 22, 2014 1:18 am

Coach
Site Admin

Postby beachboy » Fri May 23, 2014 11:51 am

Hi Coach,

Thank you for your reply, but what I am trying to say is other 3rd. party study materials like Enchilada. I know there is Woo's but any others?
beachboy

Postby usa4 » Sat May 24, 2014 1:11 pm

Woo and The Whole Enchilada are the 2 1 stop shops for CSE prep.
You can however find a lot of the info online on your own.

CSE Handbook
Cal Arch Practice Act
Cal Public Code Contract
Cal Coastal Act
2010 Building code
Handbook of Professional Practice
CEQA
Lien laws
Caldag
AIA B201, B201, A201
usa4

Postby andrewwood » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:18 am

There are also Habib Sissoko on itunes, but I don't know which to choose. Obviously there's not enough time for all of them. Enchilada takes 120 days to finish by itself. Who else can chime in, please share your experiences?
andrewwood

Postby Coach » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:24 pm

andrewwood wrote:There are also...

If you saw his comments on the old forum you'd never consider his stuff.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby ganeagla » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:31 am

Whole Enchilada only takes 120 days if you follow Doucette's slloowwww study plan. For this and the AREs I have never taken longer than 6 weeks to study - usually closer to 4.

However its entirely up to your own study habits. I'm a fast reader and learner and I personally prefer to motor through and get the tests over with (plus it means I'm not forgetting stuff I learned 4 months ago)

At a study session in LA a few weeks back - a few people recommended Archie Woo's stuff. They said more people passed in their office with Woo than with Doucette. I suppose that's just one person's opinion but I do like his samples. I purchased one of his practice exams to study this weekend before my test on Monday.

I personally would suggest supplementing any study course with Schiff Hardin's audio lectures about the A201 and B102/201. Valuable info for the exam and for life.
ganeagla

Postby andrewwood » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:50 pm

Thanks Coach and ganeagla for your insight. Good to know Habib is out of the picture. I studied Ducette's PPP, but didn't like the way he had it structured to follow the NCARB breakdown, because topics were jumping back and forth causing some confusion. I also agree with the 120 day problem of forgetting material, which is certainly an issue for me. But that doesn't mean I have to adhere to his suggested schedule, I can still power through in a shorter time. Although, the audio is harder to do with, since it is a linear format. Anyway, I'll look a bit deeper into both and pick one up.... or maybe both?
andrewwood

Postby ganeagla » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:01 am

I really liked the audio files. You'd be surprised at how much listening you can get through in those odd moments you don't think about. If I was driving on a long trip - that could be 3 hours right there. I also listened on my bike commute to work (20+) mins each way. Sometime while doing errands around the house.

Admittedly, you may not be absorbing quite as much if you get distracted if you listen in this way - but in the last 6 weeks I've managed to listen to the audio files 2 times around and then I read his study guide once - so the audio was good review and I feel like I absorb things better that way at times (by listening)

However, again this is me. My friend who has the audio - she says they put her to sleep. But for me I've been happy to have them.
ganeagla

Postby usa4 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:46 pm

I also looked into the Habib Sissoko materials as he's put it out digitally on iTunes but after a email to him it doesn't look like it's been revised since the test changed from oral to multiple choice. While it may have been a good source a few years ago it may well be out if date. Interested to hear other reviews.
usa4

Postby Natasha » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:39 am

Although his website says SOLD OUT, maybe you can find a copy of Bill Amor's study guide
Natasha

Postby Coach » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:00 pm

Natasha wrote:Although his website says SOLD OUT, maybe you can find a copy of Bill Amor's study guide

Way out of date and amor's stuff was never good to begin with.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby amarch » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:23 pm

I thought the PassxFlash cards were good to use along with the Whole Enchilada. There was some different information presented and any overlapping information is presently differently on the flash cards. It helped me to understand information that may be on the exam rather than memorizing one source.
I found Woo's study guide more frustrating than helpful.
amarch

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM