ADA vs Cal ADA

ADA vs Cal ADA

Postby mustpassare » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:38 am

Does anyone know if the distinction between the two, and also for the federal ADAG and CALDAG?

Thank you!!
mustpassare

Re: ADA vs Cal ADA

Postby tayO » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:34 pm

My understanding for the items as follows:

ADA is Civil Right which is now Codified in ICC/ANSI 117.
CalADA : it is a legislation designed to promote increased ADA compliance while reducing the need for expensive litigation. That bill, SB 1608, went into effect on January 1, 2009.

ADAAG : ADA Guidelines posted by ada.gov.(It is Independent of any code) the ADA act uses these guidelines to enforce them in every project in the united states.

CALDAG: is a Commercial publication outlining Tasks and checklists to help Architects design and comply with CBC requirements.(more graphical representations for the CODE)
tayO

Postby ungs » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:16 pm

ADA is implemented by the Department of Justice and not checked by California building and safety building departments but still must conform to. In California we use the Accessibilty standards 11A/11B from the CBC. There is no such thing as Cal ADA from all the studying I've done. I'm testing in TWO days, so either I'm golden or completely screwed.

I even googled it and nothing came up so I'm not sure where you are getting that from. Again, don't quote me on it.

http://www.rehab.cahwnet.gov/Disability ... s-Act.html
ungs

Postby mustpassare » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:30 pm

You're right, it's my mistake on the Subject line - there is no such thing as Cal ADA...
My question should really be ADAG vs CALDAG

Thanks!
mustpassare

Postby ganeagla » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:42 pm

As far as I understand it from using them both frequently in our office:

ADAAG = Federal ADA guidelines

CALDAG = State of CA ADA guidelines (can be more stringent than Federal as CA requirements are different)
ganeagla

Postby Coach » Thu May 01, 2014 2:26 am

mustpassare wrote:Does anyone know if the distinction between the two, and also for the federal ADAG and CALDAG?

ADAAG = ADA Accessibility Guidelines. It's published by the feds and condenses the ADA into a usable form for building design.

CALDAG = Just another book written by some guy. Not applicable.

For California, you need to concern yourself with the CBC. The 2013 CBC has been updated to comply with the ADA but is more stringent in some areas.
http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/dsa/pub ... Manual.pdf

Coach
Site Admin

Postby tayO » Thu May 01, 2014 11:00 am

Coach wrote:
mustpassare wrote:Does anyone know if the distinction between the two, and also for the federal ADAG and CALDAG?

ADAAG = ADA Accessibility Guidelines. It's published by the feds and condenses the ADA into a usable form for building design.

CALDAG = Just another book written by some guy. Not applicable.

For California, you need to concern yourself with the CBC. The 2013 CBC has been updated to comply with the ADA but is more stringent in some areas.
http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/dsa/pub ... Manual.pdf

Totally Agree, CalDAG is just a manual not an act or legislation
tayO

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM