Federal projects in Calif.

Federal projects in Calif.

Postby mustpassare » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:33 am

From my reading/understanding, for state/local projects - they have to comply with Accessibility under CBC.

My confusion is that is there such thing as "Federal projects"? For instance, if there is a Federal project located in California - Is there other requirements apart from the CBC? Such as a more stringent requiremnt for Accessibility?

Please let me know. I appreciate it!
mustpassare

Re: Federal projects in Calif.

Postby ungs » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:13 pm

Local/State/Federal projects all have to consider ADA which is regulated by the Department of Justice. The building department in whatever jurisdiction that you are trying to permit the project WILL NOT check for any ADA only accessibility per the CBC.

You must also comply with California Building Code for Local/State (above) and depending on the actual Federal project. Many times they have their own guidelines based on the projects that I have worked on. They make up their own rules and most of the time can get away with whatever they want depending on the officer in charge. Many guidelines are based on the ADA. Typically for local/state you use the more restrictive but there are many shades of grey in which case you can meet with the officials of each department as needed.

I think for the test you need to know that projects in CA need to meet Accessibility guidelines in the CBC and that is what will be checked by the BD. They must also conform to all ADA, and it's the architects responsibility to make sure that all buildings comply but will not be reviewed by the BD.

Hope that helps.
ungs

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM