2 project scenario in Exam

2 project scenario in Exam

Postby BITINGTHEDUST » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:49 am

It seems that we will be having 2 Project Scenarios instead of 1.
I am really bad at PS, so I really need to take more mock exam.
DOes anyone know any mock exam for project scenario other than Whole Enchelada?
I appreciate any info.
Thank you!
BITINGTHEDUST

Re: 2 project scenario in Exam

Postby wage » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:18 pm

I would recommend Mr. Woo's 3 project scenario mock exams. Practice, practice and practice. It is well worth it! I went through the project scenarios from Doucette and Woo's guides at least twice. And I'm glad that I did... found it to be very helpful. :)
Good luck!
wage

Postby wage » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:24 pm

Oh, one more thing that I forgot to mention: I found minor typos in both Mr. Woo and Mr. Doucette's study guides. But, it's no big deal... You get the meaning of the text anyways. ;)
wage

Postby Kirbart » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:05 am

Hey wage-
Are there 3 Project Scenarios by Woo?
I only have 2 (1 comes in the study guide and 1 in the Mock exam packet)
I need more too...
Thanks much.
Kirbart

Postby BITINGTHEDUST » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:45 am

Yes, I have only 2 as well...

It seems that not many people are surprised by the fact that we have to take 2PS instead of 1, though it's a big change to me...
Also, I have a rediculous question here. I just scheduled the exam, but psi didn't charge me anything.
We don't have to pay for the test???

Sorry for the rediculous question, but I am somehow very nervous about taking this exam..
Maybe because I feel very isolated because I cannot get many info on this exam compared to ARE, there is nobody taking this exam around me, etc..
BITINGTHEDUST

Postby BITINGTHEDUST » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:48 pm

oops, i totally forgot the fact that i paid 2 yrs ago when i registered the exam..
BITINGTHEDUST

Postby usa4 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:38 am

Just checking to see where you found out about the 2 project scenarios.
The CAB website doesn't indicate anything new.
usa4

Postby BITINGTHEDUST » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:58 pm

Please try scheduling your test. psi shows your test schedule which includes 1GQ (90 min) and then 2 PS(60 min each). Another 3 persons who recently scheduled the test experienced the same as mine.
BITINGTHEDUST

Postby Coach » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:31 pm

Someone needs to call CAB. There's supposed to be one project scenario and one general section.
If 2 scenarios are legitimately being administered, my guess is that CAB will say they couldn't develop enough questions with one scenario.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby wage » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:34 pm

This is what I purchased from David Doucette: multiple choice questions - 2 sets, project scenarios- 2 sets. As for the purchase from Mr. Woo, besides the study guide, it also included 2 multiple choice exams and 3 project scenarios. I thought that I did receive 3... humm.... I can double check...
wage

Postby beachboy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:40 pm

I just tried to schedule the test and PSI shows that 2 Project scenario and 1 General section besides PSI does not allow me to schedule the test!!!
Please let me know if anyone can schedule the test right now. Thank you,
beachboy

Postby usa4 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:45 am

@beachboy- you cant schedule your test until NCARB sends your records to CAB and they process them or until your 6 months pass (if you have previously taken and failed the test.) Try calling CAB to find out where they are in that process.
I know I had to wait exactly 180 days until I could reschedule and then wait approx. 2 weeks for a spot to become available.
usa4

Postby usa4 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:31 pm

Confirmed by CAB- 2 project scenarios in play now.
Same amount of time and questions.
usa4

Postby leftcoast » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:16 am

Yes, to confirm, two scenarios and one general section. I had zero warning that they'd changed the format, didn't show up when I registered with PSI, and the booklet *still* has the old description. 30 questions each scenario & 70 general, so I had 130 questions total. That's also a big difference from the 100+ they describe in the booklet.

Is the sense that the test is getting harder? Friends who took it when the test went to multiple choice all passed no problem & I stupidly followed their study advice & failed by what seems to be a common one point. Assuming I'll pass on the second try, but it's a rough test with what I'd argue are a lot of trick questions, and in spite of cramming I felt pretty well-prepared, so...? (I only used Doucette).
leftcoast

Postby BITINGTHEDUST » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:08 pm

> by what seems to be a common one point.

Does anybody know if we need to take 69% for all 4 categories, or just only the total matters?

I had the test last Saturday and failed by 64%, 5 points less!

First of all, I didn't have enough time to finish. There was no time to go back to the marked questions.
Especially for GQ, I had only 7 minutes for the last 10 long complicated questions.
But, I think it is just my problem who kept avoiding reading long complicated articles since I came here in the US 10 years ago.
(Actually, my reading speed is slower than my son who is 10 yrs old..)
Secondly, I realized cramming doesn't work for this test, though it worked perfectly for AREs to me.
All the contents are covered in David's Guide but I need to understand deeper.
I think the questions and answers were much more straightfoward (or the situation was well explained) compared to Woo's mock exam.
But, because of this, the sentences were long, and I had to read them twice to grasp.
Lastly, it may be harder for the ones who are specialized in residential projects like me.

Well, as there's no choice, I will keep trying. If I can pass someday, then I guarrantee that everybody can pass.
BITINGTHEDUST

Postby leftcoast » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Gosh, I can't imagine taking that exam if English were my second language or if I wasn't from this country for that matter. Questions are vague & require slow re-reading even if English IS your first language. My understanding is that you need a minimum percentage in each category (not sure what it is, let's say 50% as conjecture) but need to meet the current minimum score in the total of all categories. I did quite well in category 1 and horribly in category 5, for example, but never less than 56%. my 68% was an average of all categories.

I don't mean to discourage future test-takers, but as we've both said: cramming doesn't work. I have to admit I find the content of the CSE crushingly boring--minutiae of contracts and regulatory agencies is not my bag. I'm generally pro-big-government & an advocate of regulation, but having to memorize the names/acronyms & overlapping auspices of circa 30 different local/state/national government agencies could make even me question government organization :) .
leftcoast

Postby matte » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:47 pm

leftcoast wrote:but having to memorize the names/acronyms & overlapping auspices of circa 30 different local/state/national government agencies could make even me question government organization :) .

If you get too discouraged, you can always move to Jefferson! http://www.jeffersonstate.com/
matte

Postby matte » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:52 pm

Also, for anyone who hasn't tested yet -- called CAB, and the guy confirmed that there are 2 project scenarios, and that the length of time for the exam is the same. However, the number of questions are also approximately the same. So, even though another scenario was added, they just didn't increase the number of graded items. Still seems like it will take extra time to digest two scenarios, versus one.
matte

Postby Kirbart » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:07 pm

leftcoast wrote:Yes, to confirm, two scenarios and one general section. I had zero warning that they'd changed the format, didn't show up when I registered with PSI, and the booklet *still* has the old description. 30 questions each scenario & 70 general, so I had 130 questions total. That's also a big difference from the 100+ they describe in the booklet.

Is the sense that the test is getting harder? Friends who took it when the test went to multiple choice all passed no problem & I stupidly followed their study advice & failed by what seems to be a common one point. Assuming I'll pass on the second try, but it's a rough test with what I'd argue are a lot of trick questions, and in spite of cramming I felt pretty well-prepared, so...? (I only used Doucette).

Leftcoast- are you sure about the 70 General questions, it was 65 before for a total of 125...
Kirbart

Postby leftcoast » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:13 pm

yes. 60 minutes for each PS (30 questions each), then 70 questions in the remaining 1.5 hr. It's a lot! not much time for review.
leftcoast

Postby leftcoast » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:23 pm

but maybe Biting the Dust should confirm, since he also took it last week. I'm 99% certain, though I'll admit I do have a little PTSD that may have affected my memory...
leftcoast

Postby BITINGTHEDUST » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:00 pm

Yes, the content was

30 questions of PS #1 (60 min.)
30 questons of PS #2 (60 min.)
70 questions of GQ

total. 130 questions in 3.5 hrs.
BITINGTHEDUST

Postby Kirbart » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Wow,

I would like to take the oral instead please.

Wacha thinkin CAB? Just too many Architects in the state now?
Kirbart

Postby Kirbart » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:08 pm

leftcoast wrote:yes. 60 minutes for each PS (30 questions each), then 70 questions in the remaining 1.5 hr. It's a lot! not much time for review.

Here's a stupid question:

I'm guessing 60 min. max. allowed for each PS, so

Is there any way to get more than 1.5 hrs. for the Gen section?

This would suggest that you get 2 min/ Q on the PS Sections but only 1.4 min/ Q on GS...
Kirbart

Postby BITINGTHEDUST » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:58 pm

That I don't know of.
Actually good question.
The receptionist told me not to open the handout document for project scenarios till I finish the time to practice using computer and start the test.
But, she didn't tell me not to go to the next section till the time runs out.

This is just my guess and you need to confirm, but you may be able to finish 2 project scenarios earlier by pressing "END", then jump into GQ so that you have time for it more than 1.5 hr.

However, I don't know if that's a good strategy, though..
As I think (and I hope) each portion's contents and time are carefully examined and adjusted...
BITINGTHEDUST

Re: 2 project scenarios in Exam !!!

Postby Kirbart » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:25 pm

Here's a stupid question:

I'm guessing 60 min. max. allowed for each PS, so

Is there any way to get more than 1.5 hrs. for the Gen section?

This would suggest that you get 2 min/ Q on the PS Sections but only 1.4 min/ Q on GS...
Kirbart

Postby matte » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:49 pm

The rep at CAB I talked to said that time left over on one section would not carry over into the next section of questions.
matte

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM