How to get CA license even if I live in another state?

How to get CA license even if I live in another state?

Postby nagisa » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:09 am

Hello, I recently completed ARE and I am thinking about moving to California to be close to my family.

I am wondering if I should get my license in my current state (DC) and then "transfer", or should I take the CSE first and get license in CA directly? My current state requires bunch of documents to be notarized and submitted so I don't know if it's worth the effort if I plan to move soon. I looked at my state board (DC)'s information page and couldn't figure out. I am most baffled by the complicated relationships between NCARB, AIA and state board.

If any of you have similar experience, please kindly share! Thank you in advance.
nagisa

Re: How to get CA license even if I live in another state?

Postby Natasha » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:20 pm

The website for California is
[url]cab.ca.gov[/url]
Under the Tab of "Candidates" look at "Reciprocity"; see the bottom section "How to Apply"

It sounds like you already understand your options:
-Apply in DC and have a DC license, then apply for reciprocity in California, wait for validation, take CSE
-Apply in California and submit all qualifications, wait for validation, take CSE.

Depending on your study plan, it's likely 2-4 months to study for the CSE

You can think through:
-What benefit would I have at my current job having a DC license?
-What is my timeline for moving to California, and would I need a license right away?
-Would I return to the DC area in the future? Or is my move to California permanent?

Best wishes.
Natasha

Re: How to get CA license even if I live in another state?

Postby nagisa » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:51 am

Hello Natasha, thank you for the detailed response!

My current job doesn't reward me with a bonus so I think I might as well go for the CA direct path.

Thank you again!
nagisa

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM