Please review

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Please review

Postby archnet » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:20 pm

This is my first attempt at the building section vignette. Please review.

Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
archnet

Re: Please review

Postby archnet » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Couch,
Could you please clarify the following.
Should the slab on grade be terminated at the intermediate bearing wall to allow the bearing wall to sit on top of the stem wall. In essence should we draw a continuous slab or 2 slabs allowing the intermediate bearing wall to rest on stem wall.
archnet

Postby archnet » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:04 pm

One more clarification requested regarding the joist/duct combination.
Top of the first floor elevation is determined by adding the required clearance between the ceiling and the bottom of the duct + largest of (joist + duct) number. Once this is determined, all the areas fall within this larger set.
Similarly, Top of the second floor is determined. However, since we do not know the roof plan, what makes us believe that the roof level is the same at all portions. In the second floor, there is one set of joists 24" deep 5'-0" o/c running north south and another set of joists 24" deep 5'-0" o/c running east west. The program only calls for the ceiling height to be constant for the entire floor to be at 9'-0". This is not sufficient enough to assume that the top of the roof is the same. What makes me not assume 20"X20" duct to determine the overall height (for that portion only) instead of 32"X20" duct (this happens in the corridor coming out of the mechanical room) and in the area where ducts run north south.
I understand Why this is not possible in the first floor because I can see second floor plan and there is no difference in elevations anywhere shown. Which portion of the program suggests that the same logic works on the floor above.

Thanks,
archnet

Postby Coach » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:15 pm

archnet wrote:Should the slab on grade be terminated at the intermediate bearing wall to allow the bearing wall to sit on top of the stem wall. In essence should we draw a continuous slab or 2 slabs allowing the intermediate bearing wall to rest on stem wall.

Break slab at bearing walls.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Coach » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:19 pm

archnet wrote:Similarly, Top of the second floor is determined. However, since we do not know the roof plan, what makes us believe that the roof level is the same at all portions.

In the second floor, there is one set of joists 24" deep 5'-0" o/c running north south and another set of joists 24" deep 5'-0" o/c running east west. The program only calls for the ceiling height to be constant for the entire floor to be at 9'-0". This is not sufficient enough to assume that the top of the roof is the same. What makes me not assume 20"X20" duct to determine the overall height (for that portion only) instead of 32"X20" duct (this happens in the corridor coming out of the mechanical room) and in the area where ducts run north south.
I understand Why this is not possible in the first floor because I can see second floor plan and there is no difference in elevations anywhere shown. Which portion of the program suggests that the same logic works on the floor above.

Thanks,

The program says "All ceilings and roofs are flat."
Coach
Site Admin

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES