Chapters to concentrate on AHPP

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Chapters to concentrate on AHPP

Postby AMDE » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:52 am

Hi all, I am new to the system
My question is, what chapters should I concentrate on for the test. I have the AHPP student edition 13th ed.
thank you.
AMDE

Re: Chapters to concentrate on AHPP

Postby archetect » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:49 pm

AMDE
I was told/I read somewhere that the chapters to cover are Chapters 10-17 (13th Ed) of the AHPP

I looked them over and it's alot of pages, so I am not sure if we are to gloss them over or actually put the time to read through ALL the content.

If anyone has any suggestions, please chime in.
archetect

Postby alisabet12 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:21 pm

I read Chapters 11 through 17 of the 14th Professional Edition (except for a couple sections in Chapter 12 discussing research methods and digital technologies in architecture). I started it on a weekend, read through it during the week a couple hours per night after putting my 2 year old to sleep and completed it in about 8 days. I tried to average about 50 pages a night. It's roughly 400+ pages. It seems like a lot but I am glad I did it because it clarified some things. I'll know if it pays off in a few weeks as I am testing on Saturday, Feb.1. I also purchased the CSI Project Resource Manual (that was the only book I didn't have that is cited as a reference in the NCARB CDS Exam Guide). While the PRM can be repetitive and a bit of snooze of a read, it's really useful and helped firm up my understanding of Project Delivery methods (when to use a particular method) and Specifications (which different kinds and when to use what). I found that to be helpful. The Kaplan and Ballast blast of those subjects seemed to be thin in explanation. The PRM repeats some of the AHPP but I've found it useful to read multiples of the same subject matter to really hammer it in my head. Hope this helps....
alisabet12

Postby archetect » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:40 pm

alisabet12 wrote:I read Chapters 11 through 17 of the 14th Professional Edition (except for a couple sections in Chapter 12 discussing research methods and digital technologies in architecture). I started it on a weekend, read through it during the week a couple hours per night after putting my 2 year old to sleep and completed it in about 8 days. I tried to average about 50 pages a night. It's roughly 400+ pages. It seems like a lot but I am glad I did it because it clarified some things. I'll know if it pays off in a few weeks as I am testing on Saturday, Feb.1. I also purchased the CSI Project Resource Manual (that was the only book I didn't have that is cited as a reference in the NCARB CDS Exam Guide). While the PRM can be repetitive and a bit of snooze of a read, it's really useful and helped firm up my understanding of Project Delivery methods (when to use a particular method) and Specifications (which different kinds and when to use what). I found that to be helpful. The Kaplan and Ballast blast of those subjects seemed to be thin in explanation. The PRM repeats some of the AHPP but I've found it useful to read multiples of the same subject matter to really hammer it in my head. Hope this helps....

Thanks Alisabet12....
I dont have the PRM, and hope it doesnt kill me. I am going to try to read through some of the AHPP. Im testing on the 3rd. Im getting a little anxious cause of sooo much to read. As for the specs, I have some of JennyPDX's notes on speficiations (a chart) that seems to break it down rather nicely (ie: types, AKAs, Which is?, used when?, and Who's responsible.)

Anyways, Im hoping this stuff helps hammer it home for me. Been taking the at home test/mock exams and not scoring great, so that's worrisome.
archetect

Postby alisabet12 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:50 pm

No problem archetect, I'm with you. Testing on the 1st. Initially, I was scoring in the 50% range on practice tests and somewhat boggled by the flashcards. But, now I am breezing through the flashcards and have scored between 88-93% on the Kaplan and Ballast practice exams. Every time I find a question that confuses me, I note it and look it up in the AHPP and the PRM. I don't think not having the PRM will kill you, but it really helped me. It's a lot of $$$ though. It's about the same price as AHPP professional edition. When I first read the AHPP, it really freaked me out - it seemed to be written by lawyers, for lawyers. But, after the initial shock, I got into it and it is chock full of information explained fairly easily...I found the AHPP more fruitful than the CSI PRM. That said, the PRM is somewhat useful and includes some stuff that the AHPP doesn't and Jenny's notes don't.
alisabet12

Postby alisabet12 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:31 am

K10,
This is exactly what came with the book that I shelled $200 for. Wow, I wish I would have known about this. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
alisabet12

Postby blancovero » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:12 pm

Which chapters of the PMR? I just downloaded 668 pages and there is NO WAY that I can read 668 pages from now til February 10th... I panic! :shock:
blancovero

Postby alisabet12 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:25 pm

IT seems like a lot but once you get started, it is pretty straightforward. These are the chapters that I've been reading, so far
Module 3 (in it's entirety)
Module 5 (5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 5.7, 5.9)

This is what I have left - not sure that I am going to get to this and I am not that worried about it.
Module 5 (5.15, 5.18, 5.19, 5.20, 5.21)
Module 6 and if I have time
Module 7
I'd focus on the Specification Types (CSI should know better than anyone about specs) and the Project Delivery (this was really helpful to reinforce some information)
Project Delivery is Module 3 and the specs are covered in the first half of Module 5.
alisabet12

Postby blancovero » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:30 pm

alisabet12: thank you for your input... I will drop it on my tablet and start to read the recommended chapters...
Good luck!
blancovero

Postby alisabet12 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:41 pm

NP, blancovero! I learned of the PRM from this forum, actually. Someone recommended it (after he passed). I am just glad that K10 shared the free version - because I kind of panicked and bought it right away. 200 bones...not a light investment. Oh well, just adding to my reference library - nice contrast to my "fun" design books. Thanks for the well wishes!
alisabet12

Postby archetect » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:37 pm

WOW, thanks K10

Alisabet, thanks for the sharing of info (the chapters) that's a big relief. Now to try to get those modules cracked.

Oh boy.

archetect

Postby hnQ_9999 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:28 pm

K10...Thank you very much!
hnQ_9999

Postby AMDE » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:58 am

To all

Thank you very much !! Totally forgot about he PMR ! Just started studying seriously this past week. Test date is not until March 15th.
AMDE

Postby alisabet12 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:30 pm

hey everyone,

I was just reviewing the topics covered on the ARE Exam Guide and thought I would add Chapter 9 Risk Management as a necessary chapter of the AHPP (14th ed, Professional). I had previously suggested chapters 11-17. I just found an answer to a question I have persistently missed on the practice tests. Happy reading!
alisabet12

Postby Peng67uins » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:23 pm

alisabet12 wrote:No problem archetect, I'm with you. Testing on the 1st. Initially, I was scoring in the 50% range on practice tests and somewhat boggled by the flashcards. But, now I am breezing through the flashcards and have scored between 88-93% on the Kaplan and Ballast practice exams. Every time I find a question that confuses me, I note it and look it up in the AHPP and the PRM. I don't think not having the PRM will kill you, but it really helped me. It's a lot of $$$ though. It's about the same price as AHPP professional edition. When I first read the AHPP, it really freaked me out - it seemed to be written by lawyers, for lawyers. But, after the initial shock, I got into it and it is chock full of information explained fairly easily...I found the AHPP more fruitful than the CSI PRM. That said, the PRM is somewhat useful and includes some stuff that the AHPP doesn't and Jenny's notes don't.

Where did you find Jenny's notes? I havent been able to find them anywhere, perhaps Im looking in the wrong place. And I have been having a difficult time reading the PRM, it is definitely not a good read in comparison to the AHPP, Im wondering if it is really that important to study of the two.
Peng67uins

Postby alisabet12 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:23 pm

jenny's notes: http://arendurance.wordpress.com/study-guides/

as for the PRM, I don't know that it's required but if you have the time, it certainly doesn't hurt to read both (at least for me, it clarified stuff). Also, the ARE Exam Guide mentions both as references, I am presuming, for a reason.
alisabet12

Postby Peng67uins » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:03 am

alisabet12 wrote:jenny's notes: http://arendurance.wordpress.com/study-guides/

as for the PRM, I don't know that it's required but if you have the time, it certainly doesn't hurt to read both (at least for me, it clarified stuff). Also, the ARE Exam Guide mentions both as references, I am presuming, for a reason.

Thanks! I'll try to read both, I find myself becoming easily bored with both to be honest. The Schiff-Hardin lectures are the only things that are able to keep my interest and make me retain the information completely.
Peng67uins

Postby Peng67uins » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:22 pm

alisabet12 wrote:hey everyone,

I was just reviewing the topics covered on the ARE Exam Guide and thought I would add Chapter 9 Risk Management as a necessary chapter of the AHPP (14th ed, Professional). I had previously suggested chapters 11-17. I just found an answer to a question I have persistently missed on the practice tests. Happy reading!

What about Chapter 4 Firm Development? Ballast makes mention of all the different types of possible ways a firm can be created in their study guide for the CDS, does that usually come up. One of the Schiff-Hardin lecture goes into great detail about it as well as Agency Law. But is it usually on the test?
Peng67uins

Postby KOOTA » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:46 am

where do I find the PRM that's been shared by "k10" ??
KOOTA

Postby Coach » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:10 pm

KOOTA wrote:where do I find the PRM that's been shared by "k10" ??

http://amzn.to/2xribXu
Downloads have been removed because it's copyrighted.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES