substantail completion who decides? coach please help

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

substantail completion who decides? coach please help

Postby KOOTA » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:42 pm

so I just read b101 which states the date for commencement of work and the date for Substantial completion by the OWNER to the architects. (please elaborate on this )
Then I read A201 w commentary , in 9.8.2 says the Contractor initially "proposes" that work is sustainably complete. but 9.8.1 says that the Architect determines the date of substantial completion. which makes sense since the Architect is the one that has to inspect to confirm date of S completion.

then I read Carolines notes: page 20 of 60 #15) says " THE CONTRACTOR DECIDES WHEN THE PROJECT IS SUBSTANTIALLY COMPLETE" but it says decide and not determine, which I take as the same as Proposes right?

Can you please just tell me who decides it so I can get over this question.
Thank you
KOOTA

Re: substantail completion who decides? coach please help

Postby Coach » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:11 am

KOOTA wrote:so I just read b101 which states the date for commencement of work and the date for Substantial completion by the OWNER to the architects. (please elaborate on this )

As B101 says, owner provides "anticipated" dates. Then architect creates schedule for owner approval.

Then I read A201 w commentary , in 9.8.2 says the Contractor initially "proposes" that work is sustainably complete.

Right. Read the read the rest of that paragraph. GC creates punchlist and then architect inspects.

but 9.8.1 says that the Architect determines the date of substantial completion. which makes sense since the Architect is the one that has to inspect to confirm date of S completion.

Yes, so where's the confusion?

then I read Carolines notes: page 20 of 60 #15) says " THE CONTRACTOR DECIDES WHEN THE PROJECT IS SUBSTANTIALLY COMPLETE" but it says decide and not determine, which I take as the same as Proposes right?

What is caroline's authority in this? You have the actual documents that the exam is based on and you're letting someone's study notes confuse you?

Can you please just tell me who decides it so I can get over this question.

There are a lot of decisions along the way. Architect makes ultimate determination. B101.3.6.6.1.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: substantail completion who decides? coach please help

Postby KOOTA » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:35 am

Thank you coach I was confusing the S**t out of myself
KOOTA

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES