AHPP & CDS 4.0

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

AHPP & CDS 4.0

Postby nmoushon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:54 pm

I've failed CDS twice now and have one last shot at it. I've been told AHPP is a good book to read for this. I plan on picking it up but not sure what edition is the best. The most current (15th edit.) is nearly $200!! Are any of the earlier editions ok to study from or do I NEED the newest edition. With only one shot left at passing I do wan to make sure I get the right stuff but if all the 4.0 questions havent changed in the last several years wouldn't a book only a couple years old work? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.
nmoushon

Re: AHPP & CDS 4.0

Postby thd7t » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:18 am

There are not substantive differences in the earlier and most current editions and the ARE questions were probably not based on the newest edition. A lot of people have passed using the older student editions, which I think are cheapest.

What resources have you used to study, previously?
thd7t

Postby nickedemus » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:45 am

I found that reading the actual AIA contracts was very helpful for this test. Sample versions of the contracts are available for free:

https://www.aia.org/pages/2656-preparing-for-the-are
nickedemus

Postby thd7t » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:12 am

nickedemus wrote:I found that reading the actual AIA contracts was very helpful for this test. Sample versions of the contracts are available for free:

https://www.aia.org/pages/2656-preparing-for-the-are

Also, all contracts referenced on the exams are free through NCARB, which saves the trouble of wondering which ones you need.
thd7t

Postby nmoushon » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:17 am

thd7t wrote:There are not substantive differences in the earlier and most current editions and the ARE questions were probably not based on the newest edition. A lot of people have passed using the older student editions, which I think are cheapest.

What resources have you used to study, previously?

Thanks. I look at the 13th edition. It is just as expensive as the student versions.

I have used ARE Manual, the big 3 practice exam, ARE contracts with commentary and Hardin lectures. I made note cards on the questions I got wrong on the practice exams and study those. I'm going to look into an online study guide such as black spectacles to go along with AHPP this time. Any other suggestions?

I only really studied A201 and B101 of the cntract but ended up with 3 questions regarding other sections. So I guess i better at least go skim all the contracts.
nmoushon

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES