Architect Site Visits

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Architect Site Visits

Postby ochavez8 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Good afternoon,

I have a question regarding a sample question I came from ballast.

The question is the following:

During construction phase visit, the architect notices that a finish subcontractor is not installing a floor material properly. What should the architects first response be?

A. Inform the owner in writing of the situation.
B. Withhold appropriate amount on the contractor's application for payment.
C. Tell the contractor the work is not in conformance with the contract documents.
D. Notify the subcontractor that their work is not being properly installed.

According to the A201, Site Visits are for the architect to observe the progress and quality of the work and should return to the office and record all of his/her findings and submit to the owner of how the project is progressing and if there is non-conforming work he should be aware of.

In my understanding the answer that I originally provided was A. Inform the owner in writing of the situation. As I analyzed the question a little more and my basic understanding of the A201 provisions, it seems that in order to avoid any delay in the work and architect observed the non-compliant work early it makes sense for him to notify the contractor for him to coordinate his subcontractor to remedy the problem and avoid delays that might affect the schedule.

Where I am confused is because the architect has no legal obligation to the contractor and he is just observing the progress why should he notify the contractor instead of informing the owner of the situation? Is this due in order to avoid delays and disputes?

Thank you in advance for the clarification.

Oscar
ochavez8

Re: Architect Site Visits

Postby Coach » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:06 pm

ochavez8 wrote:why should he notify the contractor instead of informing the owner of the situation?

Not instead, but also. Because architect is owner's agent.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: Architect Site Visits

Postby ochavez8 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Thank you Coach, just wanted to confirm this.
ochavez8

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES