Withholding Substantial Completion Certificate

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Withholding Substantial Completion Certificate

Postby ochavez8 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:59 am

Good afternoon to all,

As I'm concluding my studies for my 3rd attempt to CDS Exam I have a question regarding items that the architect can reject during Substantial Completion. I know the owner can occupy part or portion thereof of the building for its intended use and purposes. However, if the architect determines that there are items on the punch list and or add items to its once he inspects that the building CANNOT be occupied, he can reject the work and hold the Certificate of Substantial Completion once the contractor address the issues. I would like to know what items are critical for the architect to reject the work? I understand the concept but would like to know if there are examples I can research in order to identify non-complaint work at Substantial Completion?

Thank in advance for the assistance.

Oscar
ochavez8

Re: Withholding Substantial Completion Certificate

Postby thd7t » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Code and Life Safety issues, primarily. Anything that would directly interfere with the operation of the project would probably also be acceptable.
thd7t

Postby ochavez8 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:37 pm

Thank you very much.

So this means that all the systems, (Mechanical, Electrical, FP, Plumbing, etc) have to be working properly in addition to other elements in order for that portion of the building to be considered Substantially Completed correct? Just want to clarify.

Oscar
ochavez8

Postby Coach » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Life safety, life safety, life safety... alarms, smoke detectors, sprinklers, panic hardware, exits lights, etc, etc.

And, accessibility.

Also, keep in mind that partial occupancy is also dependent on a CofO, which is a different issue.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby ochavez8 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:48 am

Thank you Coach and thd7t for your responses. I have included them into my study notes.

Appreciate your assistance.

Oscar
ochavez8

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES