Project budget questions

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Project budget questions

Postby Bimman9 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:00 pm

I read somewhere a question about a client with $x,xxx amount of money (bank or escrow let's say) and whole bunch of scenarios for architectural payment, consultant payment, land payment, insurance, etc and to figure out how much $$ they will have left for the building. I have found no information on how that conclusion is figured out. Anyone have any ideas where I can find those types of questions?
Bimman9

Re: Project budget questions

Postby thd7t » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:50 am

Could you clarify a little? It sounds like you are wondering about what percent of the fee goes to each consultant, but I'm not sure.
thd7t

Postby Bimman9 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:38 pm

Percentage of fee would make the final result a little easier. Is there info on that anywhere and is that something I should know pre test? What I am wondering is how much money goes towards building (construction and site) and the rest goes to architects, consultants, legal fees etc... If it is a general number (say 25% of clients budget goes towards anything but construction and site) then great! :brick:
Bimman9

Postby thd7t » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:44 am

I didn't study this for CDS and I work in an odd arena. Here's what I'd say: ignore the cost of land. It's too dependent on market conditions and they can't expect you to know that. For project cost breakdown, I would look at AHPP. I think that fee structure may have been addressed in a recent thread on the PPP portion of the forum, but I would look at some fees that your office has proposed. I generally find that Architecture gets around 50% and Mechanical (and EP) gets around 35% with structure getting 15% or less, but MEP can easily get up to 50%.

For my projects Project Costs end up being around 150% of Construction Costs, but I work in a bureaucracy.
thd7t

Postby KOOTA » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:08 am

I generally find that Architecture gets around 50% and Mechanical (and EP) gets around 35% with structure getting 15% or less, but MEP can easily get up to 50%.

For my projects Project Costs end up being around 150% of Construction Costs, but I work in a bureaucracy.

you say arch gets 50% , but 50% of what % of the total project cost? or construction cost
KOOTA

Postby thd7t » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:28 am

KOOTA wrote:I generally find that Architecture gets around 50% and Mechanical (and EP) gets around 35% with structure getting 15% or less, but MEP can easily get up to 50%.

you say arch gets 50% , but 50% of what % of the total project cost? or construction cost

Architect gets around 50% of design fees, which are loosely based on construction cost. When I'm setting up design fees, I almost always try to estimate the actual design time, but I do reference the project cost as I do that, as it is usually a reasonable proxy for complexity.
thd7t

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES