Fire rated partitions

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Fire rated partitions

Postby nemisys97 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:48 pm

Hello everyone,

I am scheduled to take the CDS exam in February. I was discussing the vignette with some of my peers at work. One major debate was how to draw the a fire rated partition if it was lined up from floor to floor. According to the building code in chapter 7, it states that " Fire partitions shall extend from the top of the floor assembly below to the underside of the floor or roof slab or deck above or to the fire resistance rated floor/ceiling or roof/ceiling above and shall be securely attached thereto". One of my constituents keeps telling me that these walls are continuous and must run all the way to the underside of the roof slab. Is it safe to say the solution if this does happen on a exam, the proper way to draw this is to have the floor slab go straight across and draw the fire rated partitions to the underside of each slab? Or, is it to run the partitions straight to the underside of the roof slab, then draw the floor slab in between each them? My goal is to be a little less confused than what I will be when I'm doing this vignette.

Your comments will be most appreciated. Thank you in advance. Peace and Blessings.
nemisys97

Re: Fire rated partitions

Postby Coach » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:55 pm

Floor slab/deck is drawn with joists, so the only way to do it properly is continuous slab with f-r walls going top of slab to bottom of deck.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: Fire rated partitions

Postby nemisys97 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:19 pm

Thanks for confirming. I'll be sure to pass along the info. Thanks again for answering and have a happy and prosperous new year. We'll see how this goes in February.
nemisys97

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES